Brittlegill?

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
RainbowZimbo
New user

Brittlegill?

Post by RainbowZimbo »

I’ve searched through my books with edible and poisonous fungi but cannot find this! It’s a deep ox blood red, found on a grassy path in high-ish moorland Perthshire. Scots Pines, another type of conifer or pine/spruce sorry cannot be more specific!! Lots of heather, blaeberries, lingonberries and grasses. It was lying kicked over on the path next to an identical mushroom still growing in the grass. It has a distinct earthy mushroom smell. I think it’s a brittlegill family as the gills flake off as described in my book.
Stem is smooth, has markings from top to bottom longwise like bark, and soft but not hollow. It snaps cleanly. Doesn’t bruise to a different colour.
I’ve done the taste test, chewing a small amount and leaving on my tongue for a few seconds then spat out. There’s no hot chilli taste, just w mushroom taste.
E55AF2BF-74A7-45C5-99CE-672AE80133BF.jpeg
E55AF2BF-74A7-45C5-99CE-672AE80133BF.jpeg (18.1 KiB) Viewed 302 times
FAC47755-22A7-4C8C-B09B-1EAD49AD6896.jpeg
2DD44433-3471-4AC3-8C20-A7068E548C0C.jpeg
adampembs
Frequent user

Re: Brittlegill?

Post by adampembs »

Unusually, Im now looking for a top shot, which is often all people provide :)

Can you add a top shot please.
You are right that it is a member of the Russula genus.

There are a few contenders, but a flushed stem helps.
I'll hazard a punt on Russula xerapelina which should smell of crabs when old (although this could be said of many fungi when they go rotten)
Adam Pollard
Site admin
adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs »

A spore print would help as well. You need a decent deposit and it will vary from pure white to ochre.
This is a difficult genus though.
Adam Pollard
Site admin
RainbowZimbo
New user

Post by RainbowZimbo »

Spore print picture and top of fungus pictures - sprry I had already cut it in half so have jammed it back together for the top shot. I have NO idea what crabs smell like :lol: :lol: but it a smelling pretty strong mushrooms smell now.
FA810016-5A3F-4154-887B-2DA878C14017.png
[/attachment]
D29F6BF0-871A-422E-A1E4-91E9477E55F1.jpeg
00A666AC-B7BB-4CF8-80B5-B7468C33C484.jpeg
Attachments
126165F6-4508-49B1-ABD8-6E3F734C70E4.jpeg
RainbowZimbo
New user

Post by RainbowZimbo »

Had another sniff this morning - I can smell the shrimp smell described in books now. Guessing shrimp and crab smell similar.
adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs »

Nice dark spore print (for a Russula)
Adam Pollard
Site admin
Simon Horsnall
Regular user

Post by Simon Horsnall »

The smell of shrimp/crab reminds me of what we call "The eye of faith" when on forays. That is, if you believe there is a [insert character] you can always convince yourself it is there.

I'm not suggesting this doesn't smell.
adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs »

Simon Horsnall wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:51 am The smell of shrimp/crab reminds me of what we call "The eye of faith" when on forays. That is, if you believe there is a [insert character] you can always convince yourself it is there.

I'm not suggesting this doesn't smell.
I think to beginners, this is a bit discouraging. Nearly all fungi smell mainly of fungi so picking out the coconut, the fishy, the mealy or the almonds can require a bit more focusing. It think it is more like wine. All wine smells of wine, but not all wines smell the same, and the subtle differences are important.
Often I smel la mushroom and I can smell something distinctive but struggle to place it out of its usual context but when a guide suggests something, its a eureka moment (and not in my imagination :P )
Adam Pollard
Site admin