Conifer root rot fungus

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Gert
New user

Conifer root rot fungus

Post by Gert » Thu May 13, 2021 6:26 pm

Hello fungi-lovers! I live in Belgium and have recently bought a house with a tree stump in the garden. Most likely it was a conifer. The stump is rotting away, but I wanted to get rid of it faster, so started to cut away the roots. The roots have gotten soft. Moreover, while the outside looks dry, the inside has a yellowish liquid and a white slimy mold. I know this may not be your typical fungus, but it would be great if anyone knew what it is. If this is just an organism living off dead wood, so be it. My main concern is that it may also be harmful for other nearby trees. Possibly related, on the top of the stump there was a hard black mushroom, which looked like it had been there for some time. I have no idea of the prior history. Included are a photo of the root, broken open to show the mold, and a photo of me holding the mushroom.

Thanks in advance!
Gert
Attachments
fungus.jpg
fungus2.jpg

adampembs
Frequent user

Re: Conifer root rot fungus

Post by adampembs » Fri May 14, 2021 7:08 am

Welcome to UK Fungi.

I have no idea what it is, but just want to mention that if you want to get rid of the stump, the fungis is your ally. It's likely to be a saprobe, ie one that feeds on dead wood. So it will take care of your stump for you. Don't begrudge it a meal :)
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Gert
New user

Re: Conifer root rot fungus

Post by Gert » Fri May 14, 2021 9:11 am

Adam,thank you for the insight. Indeed the fungus has done good work already! My initial plan was to plow the tree into the ground -still allowing the fungus to feast on it. However, I am now a bit worried that it may harm nearby vegetation. In that case spreading it out into the soil is the worst I can do probably. The specific type of fungus is of lesser importance to me, if it is not a known tree killer that would be a reassurance already.