Help with identifying flat topped white fungi please

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Crazy Joe
New user

Help with identifying flat topped white fungi please

Post by Crazy Joe » Mon May 10, 2021 10:10 pm

Hi there. Ok, to start with, I am a complete novice, so please forgive my absolute lack of knowledge. Finally, in my late 50s, I am taking a closer look at my surroundings and starting to try to identify all that 'stuff' that I used to simply enjoy and take for granted as I strolled past it. Grasshoppers, deer, birds, even meadow flowers are relatively simple to identify, with the help of Google Images. But I confess I am finding fungi identification to be virtually impossible ...every image looks different from the previous image, even when they're supposed to be the same thing :?

So, here goes, with my first attempt. I found these growing in a long pretty much straight line that went on for several meters. Open farm land, a well trodden 5 or 6 meter wide permissive path, next to a corn field (at least earlier in the year). They were mainly in the slightly longer grass in the middle of the path, where fewer people walked. Photos taken 01/11/2020 in mid Bucks (Haddenham/Thame area). I guess they were about 3 inches across. What struck me about them was how flat many of them were and the long straight line they grew in.

Having read the "how to post a decent question" info for this forum, I realise my photos may not give enough info. Sadly, I haven't mastered time travel (yet), so can't do anything about that now. I'm also wondering now if they might have been two completely different fungi, that just happened to be growing in an orderly line together. Some were flat. Some had that sort of cupped surface. All were white gilled. Even if these can't be exactly identified, perhaps someone would be able to point me in roughly the right direction.

Many Thanks in advance.
CJ
Attachments
Photo 1
Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 2

adampembs
Frequent user

Re: Help with identifying flat topped white fungi please

Post by adampembs » Tue May 11, 2021 2:57 pm

Welcome to UK Fungi :)

The key is to know what features to look for rather than general appearance.
In this case, I think I can see a volva at the base,
Some of the Amanita species are typical for having a volva but grow in association with certain trees.
So I think what you have is one of the Volvopluteus species, the most common being Volvopluteus gloiocephalus.
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Crazy Joe
New user

Post by Crazy Joe » Tue May 11, 2021 9:29 pm

Thank you Adam.

Yeah, OK, I looked up Volvopluteus gloiocephalus and some of the photos look just like my beasties. The volva looks similar, pink/rose gills is probably a better description than white (sorry, didn't realise that was an option) and I don't think mine had a ring/annulus. The size sounds about right, as well as it's penchant for growing in grassy fields.

Hmmm, I can see this fungi recognition is going to be a tricky business. So, in future, I need to get photos of all the stuff under the cap if I'm going to stand a chance of identifying.

Thanks for that. I really appreciate it. I never know quite what I'm going to to happen across when I'm out and about. Tonight's adventure led me to three fox cubs frolicking at the entrance to their den. But I shall definitely keep my eyes open for interesting fungi in future

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Wed May 12, 2021 10:01 am

Spore colour is the numero uno starting point with mushrooms.
You can often guess this if you dont want to wait for a spore print. A mature white gilled mushroom won't have black spores, although immature ones often start with pale gills before the spores ripen.

Most guide books divide fungi by spore colour, and then list other important features, eg milk from gills (Milkcaps) or a volva, as here.

It's a learning curve but a guide book is better than randomly scrolling the web, or using an app.
Adam Pollard
Site admin