Any idea what this is?

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
DWOO
New user

Any idea what this is?

Post by DWOO » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:58 pm

Hello
My mum spotted this growing in my sister's garden. We just wondered if anyone might know what it is as we can't find any similar images on the internet. My mum says it's about 8 inches across.

We've no intention of eating it, will probably just leave it or pull it up but just wondered what it was as never seen one like this in a garden before!

Thank you for any suggestions :)
Attachments
IMG-20201120-WA0003.jpg
20201120_140310.jpg

adampembs
Frequent user

Re: Any idea what this is?

Post by adampembs » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:41 pm

Welcome to UK Fungi.

This is something old and dried out, so not likely to look like any photos on the internet (bad idea btw)
Identifying is better done with a guidebook (yes, for some things books are still better) Start with spore colour, which narrows it down a lot, as most guide books separate fungi according to spore colour. A guide to taking a spore print is in the FAQs. They then separate fungi according to certain features, such as having a ring, a volva, or milk exuding from gills. Its a methodical process instead of looking at basically random images. Colour is of little benefit at the initial stage of narrowing fungi down to their groups.
Adam Pollard
Site admin

DWOO
New user

Re: Any idea what this is?

Post by DWOO » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:53 pm

Hi Adam and thank you for the welcome :D
Thanks also for the info and pointers, I'll let my mum and sister know!