Oak Milkcap?

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Deborah
Regular user

Oak Milkcap?

Post by Deborah » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:39 pm

Hello again. Twice in one day!
Just been for my permitted 1km walk France) and came across these. Just the two, but the leaf cover is quite dense now so there may have been others hidden.oak predominates, but it’s a damp patch bordering a stream so there is a fair amount of Willow too.
The milk is white, turning what is almost a fluorescent yellow after 5 minutes or so.
The taste is hot but not unbearably and also sweetish? (I only tasted a tiny drop).

Stems are quite chunky - height about 4/5 cm.cm. Caps are 8/10 cm diameter.

I can’t see that the caps are ‘pock marked on the edges) as one book suggested for Oak milkcap.

I have put the caps to give me a spore print. Will update later.

Any ideas/ID welcome. Thanks.
Attachments
585694F4-C199-4F11-AF7E-38298AFC0756.jpeg
CB1F6EBA-9ECC-4E38-BD96-D1D69E0C05E1.jpeg

adampembs
Frequent user

Re: Oak Milkcap?

Post by adampembs » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:31 pm

I think you're right. A smell of bedbugs (oily) would confirm (who has bedbugs these days though!)
The zoming, colour change and habitat are good.
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:28 am

adampembs wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:31 pm (who has bedbugs these days though!)
The zoming, colour change and habitat are good.
They keep coming back - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/ ... d-new-york - one day I'll tell you my funny story about bed bugs and Kuala Lumpur from when I was a museum curator . . . .
What's "zoming"? sounds like fun - is it permitted during lockdown?

PS - on a serious note - colour wrong for L. quietus, as is milk turning yellow (quietus doesn't change) - I'd be thinking
Lactarius chrysorrheus
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Deborah
Regular user

Post by Deborah » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:25 am

Excellent. Thanks both of you.
On a French site I found that its common name is Lactaire à lait jaune d’or, and that it likes acid soil, oak trees and used to be considered useful for curing warts :?
(and I have no idea what bed bugs smell like either :D )

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:35 pm

Good call by Chris. I have problems distinguishing m and n unless my monitor text size is bigger. Old age... :cry:
Adam Pollard
Site admin