Tricholoma ustale?

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Bob Hazell
Frequent user

Tricholoma ustale?

Post by Bob Hazell » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:25 am

I photographed this fungus at Monk Wood, Worcestershire on 11th October. They were growing in an area of mixed deciduous woodland but particularly silver birch and beech. Although dry there had been rain in earlier days and the caps were very slimy (viscid). The smaller specimens were about 3 cms diameter cap and the larger ones about 8 cms. The stipe was fibrous and reddish/brown although white with reddish/brown hints on others - it was late afternoon and I had to use a flash so this may have effected the colour? Gills white and pretty crowded but limited view. Hoping from these limited features that someone can confirm (or more often put me right) that these are Tricholoma ustale. Many thanks.
1P1820034.jpg
1P1820037.jpg
1P1820068.jpg
1P1820076.jpg

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Re: Tricholoma ustale?

Post by Chris Yeates » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:32 pm

Hi Bob
Looks OK to me and the habitat, with Fagus, fits as well. https://www.summerfieldbooks.com/produc ... n-britain/ is well worth getting if you don't have it already - other booksellers are available.
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Bob Hazell
Frequent user

Post by Bob Hazell » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:26 pm

Brilliant. Thanks Chris and thanks for the book recommendation. I have Kibby's Russula guide which is excellent.
Regards,
Bob

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:25 pm

Maybe they are quite young but I see a lot of ustale in my local wood and the burnt look is more obvious. I'd be tempted to revisit in a couple of days to see if they have gone more burnt looking. The colours are more dull too, but that might be the flash.
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Bob Hazell
Frequent user

Post by Bob Hazell » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:43 pm

I think the specimens are quite young Adam. I probably chose those specimens as they were fully intact. Equally I think the flash has made them more vibrant but it was the only way of getting a reasonable image. Unfortunately I can not revisit as it's about 40 miles away and not possible in the current restrictions. Nevertheless, I note your reservations and will seek them out next year as it's a wood that I intend to revisit. In an odd way I find it reassuring that those with far more knowledge than me can debate a species identity (albeit based on limited information provided). One thing is sure the old adage of the more you know the more you realise how little you know couldn't be truer. As always thanks for your help.
Regards,
Bob