Please can you help with this Boletus ID?

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
fruitingbodies
New user

Please can you help with this Boletus ID?

Post by fruitingbodies » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:59 pm

Hello all UK Fungi members,

My name is Mark and I am new here, I am fairly new to mycology, having just started studying fungi this year. I am a photographer and hope you enjoy these photographs of my specimens.

Please can you help me with identifying this Boletus? I have never found any type of Boletus before and I was pretty ecstatic on discovering these as I usually tend to see common Puffballs, Ink caps, Agaricus, Dryads Saddle, Turkey Tail and the occassional Oyster.

Found in the wooded area of a south London park, not sure what trees this specimens were adjacent too. Larger specimen is 70mm tall and 40mm wide at the base. Colour of cap is dark brown.

From one fresh fungi nut to another, many thanks for any advice.

Yours Sincerely,

Fruiting Bodies
Attachments
Boletus_01.jpg
Boletus_02.jpg
Boletus_03.jpg
Boletus_04.JPG

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: Please can you help with this Boletus ID?

Post by Lancashire Lad » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:27 am

Hi, and welcome to UK Fungi.

I think you may struggle to get any confident identification suggestions on this.
It looks to be a fairly newly emerged specimen that hasn't had time to open up to its full extent - so the pore surface may not be fully developed.

The cap colour on the in-situ (final) photo seems to be quite a bit lighter than it appears on the other shots.
Is that colour difference truly representative? (Did it change colour after it was picked?). - Or is it just a function of the different lighting conditions under which the subsequent shots were taken?

From the photos, it doesn't particularly ring any bells as to being a species that I would be familiar with.
The stem colouration and shape puts me in mind of Boletus edulis (Cep/PennyBun), but the cap colour/texture doesn't seem quite right.

All of the shots are showing the fruitbody more-or-less side on, with no shot looking upwards towards the pore surface.

With the majority of fungi in general, there are numerous things that need to be taken into consideration - amongst which, for example, in this case would be: - size of pores, colour of pore surface, did the fruitbody "bruise" a different colour (typically blue or brown) on the pore surface if that surface was damaged.
Even when all or most of the macro characteristics are known/evident, in many cases microscopy is still needed to be certain of species identification.

A photograph of a cross section of the fruitbody, taken from top-centre of cap down to stem base is often useful for seeing things like the pore structure/depth (along with any colour changes due to the damage) etc.

I wouldn't like to suggest anything on the basis of information currently available but others may be familiar with whatever it might be.

For future reference, if you have an ongoing interest in the subject, please do take a moment to read http://www.fungi.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=49 HELP US TO HELP YOU TO IDENTIFY YOUR FINDS, to see the sort of information generally needed when trying to identify people's finds.
If you read that post, you will see that a lot of information can be required in order to obtain confident ID suggestions. - And much of that information wouldn't necessarily be obvious to someone new to fungi identification. Almost all of us will have found that out very quickly when we first started!
We appreciate that you might not always be able to obtain all the necessary information, but the more details that can be provided, the better your chances will be.

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

Simon Horsnall
Regular user

Post by Simon Horsnall » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:46 pm

A photograph of the leaves of adjacent trees would help if you cannot identify the trees yourself. I am seeing what look to be a willow species but it could just be one off.

Simon

fruitingbodies
New user

Post by fruitingbodies » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:54 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your kind reply and useful advice.

Please see attached dissected specimen, bruising is brown.

In-situ photograph was much lighter brown. There were 6 other fruitbodies in the location that I will check on tomorrow morning to see if any have developed further. The reason I took my specimens so early in their formation was because the site was well trod and my experience of mycology so far in the area is that people tend to take everything they find with no respect for spore dispersal and the delicate life cycle of the organism.

Sounds like I need to get a microscope to take my mycology to the next level.

All the best,

Mark
Attachments
IMG_7854.JPG

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:12 am

Maybe return to the spot and look for more mature fruitbodies. You won't be able to ID it from an immature one.
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:32 pm

Thanks for the additional cross-section photo.

Unfortunately it is as I suspected and the fruitbody isn't mature enough to give the sort of detail needed.

In fact, on initial glance, because the "veil" covering the pore surface hasn't broken - but has a gap behind it, and with the look and shape of the cross-sectioned pore regions, I thought that we were dealing with a gilled species rather than a bolete. :oops:

I can honestly say I've never actually seen that before in a cross-sectioned bolete. - Although, any that I do cross-section are always mature specimens which wouldn't be showing this anyway - but interesting nevertheless!

I agree with Adam that the best chance of getting an ID would be to return to the site and (if there are any there), provide the relevant information and photos of a mature example.

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.