Postia stiptica

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Bob Hazell
Frequent user

Postia stiptica

Post by Bob Hazell » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:20 am

Another request with limited information. The attached photograph was taken in woodland at Thruscross Reservoir on 23rd October. It was growing on the log of a pine tree a little way off the pathway with limited access. From the distance inspected it appeared to have a furry cap but I couldn't see the underside as it was too close to the ground. The cap appeared to be oozing sap. Superficially it was the size of many slime moulds that I have seen being about 6 cms wide by 3 or 4 cms. I assume that it it some form of bracket and although I know a definitive identification is very unlikely I wondered if it might be Postia stiptica. Any thoughts despite the limited information would be much appreciated.
1P1830441.jpg

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: Postia stiptica

Post by Lancashire Lad » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:33 am

Hi Bob,

Another nice photo!

You are on the right track with Postia, but with its general looks and guttation droplets, this is the anamorph stage of Postia ptychogaster.

I find it locally, although fairly infrequently: -
Postia ptychogaster.
Postia ptychogaster.
Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

Bob Hazell
Frequent user

Re: Postia stiptica

Post by Bob Hazell » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:23 pm

Thanks Mike. I really didn't think I had much chance of getting any responses, other than guidance on submitting photographs! Much appreciated.
Regards,
Bob