attempt at a Galerina

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
coffeeman
Regular user

attempt at a Galerina

Post by coffeeman » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:49 pm

I have found a few of these recently and keep plumping for Galerina pumila - Dwarf Bell, but not trusting myself!

cap 18mm, pale edge (not yellow, though), appears fibrous on top resembling Laccaria - stem with scaly top but shiny/velvety further down, spores creamy colour but could be taken for yellow-brown, they seem a bit small, though - cystidia snake-like - growing on unimproved mossy grassland which is spot on for G.pumila - slightly bigger, browner and more robust than other Bells nearby which I take to be Moss Bells (G, hypnorum).

any thoughts greatly appreciated, Alan
snip1.jpg
snip2.jpg
snip3.jpg
snip4.jpg
snip5.jpg

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Re: attempt at a Galerina

Post by Chris Johnson » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:10 am

Alan, it's good to see someone looking at Galerina. We can rule out G. pumila as the spores are too small. When measuring spores it's important to measure width as well to get a quotient value.

I've tried keying this with David Savage's Synoptic Key but it is too lacking in information. You need to find basidia to determine if they are 2- or 4-spored. Galerina have interesting and, usually, numerous cystidia. I can see what look like lageniform cystidia but there could be two kinds. You also need to take separate preparations of the gill-edge and gill-face. The upper stipe will also have caulocystidia.

I hope you have some more specimens to have another go. Galerina is an interesting genus but you need all the clues. I have added a page on Galerina pumila to give you a visual clue as to what to look for: http://www.outerhebridesfungi.co.uk/species.php?id=81

Regards, Chris

coffeeman
Regular user

Post by coffeeman » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:09 pm

thanks very much, Chris, for the detailed reply.

I often get determined beyond my ability with these tricky groups - I guess that's all part of the experience!

regards, Alan

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:30 pm

Hi
Good to see you appreciate the difficulties - and you are doing many things right . . . Chris J's advice is spot on. I'm also certain this is not G. pumila. You need good images of cystidia on gill edges, gill faces (if present) and stem apex; also details of spore ornamentation.
"unimproved mossy grassland" is "spot on" for many Galerina species - not trying to be a downer, but I (after almost 40 years of studying these things) still have to work hard, often for hours - and don't always arrive at a satisfactory answer.
Chris

PS looking again - besides the gill attachment on this individual (you say there were others?) - the "top view" looks suspiciously like Tubaria furfuracea - spores and cystidia would fit as well.
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

coffeeman
Regular user

Post by coffeeman » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:20 pm

mmm - you know, Chris, I think you might be right with Tubaria furfuracea after all.

I am familiar with it but normally on wood chippings rather than straight grass, perhaps seeing it out of context set me on the wrong track - also the 'felty' cap does seem odd for Galerina.

So I will check for others

thanks all
Alan

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:43 pm

Chris Yeates wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:30 pm
PS looking again - besides the gill attachment on this individual (you say there were others?) - the "top view" looks suspiciously like Tubaria furfuracea - spores and cystidia would fit as well.
I was thinking the same. It just has that look to it.
Adam Pollard
Site admin