Possible Tremella or Dacrymyces?

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Barrie Hamill
New user

Possible Tremella or Dacrymyces?

Post by Barrie Hamill » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:47 am

Hi all.

I found this fungi on very unhealthy willow in my garden on Orkney last week. It's possibly the wrong time of year to have noticed it but I'm wondering if it's identifiable. I'm thinking possibly Tremella or Dacrymyces, but I'm a beginner with fungi so need some help please. It's quite small - the whole fungi pictured is just under 2cm across in total.
Many thanks, Barrie
Attachments
Photo 1
Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 2
Photo 3
Photo 3
Photo 4
Photo 4

Peter Roberts
User

Re: Possible Tremella or Dacrymyces?

Post by Peter Roberts » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:04 pm

At a guess this is dried-up Tremella mesenterica which is quite fond of willow. A shower of rain (or a watering can) may make it more obvious, since it readily absorbs water. Dacrymycetous fungi are rarely so ragged and irregular, wet or dry.

Barrie Hamill
New user

Post by Barrie Hamill » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:37 pm

Thank you Peter. It's a rainy day tomorrow, so I'll have another look then.

Barrie Hamill
New user

Post by Barrie Hamill » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:46 pm

Her is a picture of it wet. Turned nice and yellow. Many thanks for your help Peter.
Attachments
Photo 1
Photo 1

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:40 pm

Tremella mesenterica or T. aurantia
Adam Pollard
Site admin