NEWCOMERS - BEFORE YOU POST ANYTHING - READ THIS

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
adampembs
Frequent user

NEWCOMERS - BEFORE YOU POST ANYTHING - READ THIS

Post by adampembs » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:48 pm

When you arrive, show some respect for the members who have been here for years, and have many decades of experience.
You are not entitled to an ID. We are volunteers who give our time freely. We will help you if we can, and you ask nicely.

Do ask politely for help and you will get a better response.
Do read HELP US TO HELP YOU TO IDENTIFY YOUR FINDS
Do read Edibility Requests - We do not encourage foraging and if that is your main interest, other websites will be more relevant and will not annoy us.
Do introduce yourself, provide a real name (first name is fine) and location (county or town is OK) and say what your interest in fungi is
Do thank someone who has tried to help you with an ID or provided advice.

Do not just post one crappy photo of the top of the fungus (the most useless angle to take a photo from) with "ID required"
Do not argue with our rules, until you have been a member for 6 months and have made at least 100 posts

Best wishes
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Trwen555
User

Re: NEWCOMERS - BEFORE YOU POST ANYTHING - READ THIS

Post by Trwen555 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:55 am

Even using your guide I cannot seem to post any photos...I resize them to what would seem to be acceptable sizes from the FAQ page, click Add Files, Choose the files, and they seem to upload. But I preview the post and they've disappeared. I think maybe it's me and so submit the post, and then view it, and there are no photos....I'm using Mac Photos. Is it that JPEG is not acceptable? Any/all help would be most gratefully received. I'd like to take active and informed part in your forum but failing miserably so far....

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: NEWCOMERS - BEFORE YOU POST ANYTHING - READ THIS

Post by Lancashire Lad » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:51 pm

Trwen555 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:55 am Even using your guide I cannot seem to post any photos...I resize them to what would seem to be acceptable sizes from the FAQ page, click Add Files, Choose the files, and they seem to upload. But I preview the post and they've disappeared. I think maybe it's me and so submit the post, and then view it, and there are no photos....I'm using Mac Photos. Is it that JPEG is not acceptable? Any/all help would be most gratefully received. I'd like to take active and informed part in your forum but failing miserably so far....
Hi,

It's unusual for someone not to be able to add photos to their posts - and no one else has advised of any difficulties of late, so I'm sure it must be some simple part of the upload process that is somehow being missed.

JPEG's are the standard image upload file, so there should be no problem in submitting images in that format.
Image file-size should also not be a problem, as recent tweaks to the software now automatically resize image files that are too large when uploaded.

I can't really think of any way to explain the procedure differently to that described here: -
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1942

In short: -
1 - Write the text of your post.

2 - Click on the Attachments tab, located below the text box.

3 - Click on the Add Files tab which then appears.

4 - When you click on the Add Files tab, a window opens allowing you to navigate to the chosen image that you wish to upload from your computer.

5 - From within that pop-up window that has opened, navigate to the folder on your computer where the photo that you want to upload is located. - Double click on the file-name of the image that you wish to upload.
(The navigation window closes, and the filename of your chosen image, along with a file comment box, and details of file-size now appears below the Add Files tab, (below the text box).

If you see the filename of your chosen image there below the "Add Files tab" -then your image has been uploaded.

As a test post, If you follow the above five steps carefully, and then after doing that, click on preview tab - you should see a preview of your proposed post with a thumbnail of the uploaded image at the bottom.

If you do see the thumbnail of your image in that preview, then you have done everything correctly.
(Should you wish, you can then just click on the "Submit" tab, and your post, complete with clickable thumbnail should appear on the forum).

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.