Rustgill maybe?

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Helix
User

Rustgill maybe?

Post by Helix » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:18 pm

Hello folks. I found this one a few days ago growing under a Rowan, quite close to the trunk. The cap was about 10cm diameter and the stripe about 12cm long. Striking orange cap. It had a bald ring for want of a better description on the stripe as can be seen in one of the pics. Was this a rustgill?

Thanks in advance

James
20200904_115629.jpg
20200904_115620.jpg
20200904_115642.jpg

adampembs
Frequent user

Re: Rustgill maybe?

Post by adampembs » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:26 am

It's a bit gone over, but look at Phaeolepiota aurea. It could also be a rustgill - Gymnopilus spectabilis, but you'd expect to see a scalier cap although these might have been washed away.
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Helix
User

Re: Rustgill maybe?

Post by Helix » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:24 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply Adam, I think it possibly was a rustgill but as you say it was passed its prime. Will keep my eyes peeled for next year.
James