Registration disabled

adampembs
Frequent user

Registration disabled

Post by adampembs » Tue May 12, 2020 6:49 am

I have disabled registration again due to having 17 new registrations this morning before 7.44am. Maybe there really are a lot of fungi enthusiast nightowls....but I think not, and especially not in May.

Yes, we are seeing another wave of spam attacks. I dont know why they keep attacking us, as they never get to post anything. Mike and I delete their posts and then ban them. Currently seeing a lot of what appears to be Chinese language characters with a weblink to god-knows-what..com

This is in spite of yesterday changing the registrations questions. We really need a system of fines to email providers who allow people to use their domains for spamming.
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Re: Registration disabled

Post by Chris Yeates » Fri May 15, 2020 6:21 pm

While I'm sure that you are being wise Adam it may be that there is just a Chinese trawl for any mycological info. I have heard from seeral people who have attended various forays on the continent with young Chinese students there, grabbing any and all named specimens to take back to China. There's a lot of sequencing / publishing new names etc. going on but unless they are sure that the specimens are correctly named in the first place, and whether the types have been reliably sequenced a lot of it is probably very dodgy.

Then again - just think of it - "foreigners" turning up in our countries and purloining things to take home - it would never have happened when we had our turn in the British Empire ;)
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

adampembs
Frequent user

Re: Registration disabled

Post by adampembs » Sun May 17, 2020 8:44 am

Chris Yeates wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 6:21 pm
While I'm sure that you are being wise Adam it may be that there is just a Chinese trawl for any mycological info. I have heard from seeral people who have attended various forays on the continent with young Chinese students there, grabbing any and all named specimens to take back to China. There's a lot of sequencing / publishing new names etc. going on but unless they are sure that the specimens are correctly named in the first place, and whether the types have been reliably sequenced a lot of it is probably very dodgy.

Then again - just think of it - "foreigners" turning up in our countries and purloining things to take home - it would never have happened when we had our turn in the British Empire ;)
I'll send you some of the links in the messages. Might "spice" up your life a bit :D
Adam Pollard
Site admin