Agonimia globulifera?

chriscant
Regular user

Agonimia globulifera?

Post by chriscant »

On the Cumbria Lichen and Bryophyte Group trip to The Clouds limestone pavement and outcrops near Ravenstonedale, Caz found what looks like Agonimia globulifera on bryophyte on limestone.

Thallus green-brown squamules to 0.2mm, with very small papillae on upper colourless cortex. Black shiny sterile globules to 0.125mm with dark and pale cells inside. Some black perithecia with no involucrellum. What I'm calling spores are colourless to brown with 30+ cells, 45-59 x 24-36.8μm.

Assuming it is Agonimia then the small shiny black globules should make it globulifera, but some of the above doesn't match the description precisely. Can anyone confirm please?

Thanks in advance
globules on bryophyte
globules on bryophyte
Squamules
Squamules
intact globule
intact globule
Squished globule
Squished globule
Globule and perithecium
Globule and perithecium
Perithecium section
Perithecium section
Spores?
Spores?
More spores?
More spores?
Squamule cortex colourless with papillae
Neil Sanderson
Frequent user

Re: Agonimia globulifera?

Post by Neil Sanderson »

Chris

Looks OK for Agonimia globulifera to me, Agonimia gelatinosa generally has a very dark thallus (see the picture in Alan Orange's British and other Pyrenocarpus Lichens), with no green visible at all. Plus yes those are the black shiny sterile globules. The numbers of cells visible in the spore needs care are as I often find immature spores in these Agonimia species.

All the best

Neil
Neil Sanderson
chriscant
Regular user

Re: Agonimia globulifera?

Post by chriscant »

That's great, thanks.
Ooh - I hadn't got that Pyrenocarpus Lichens PDF before - looks useful - ta for that.

I guess I sort-of automatically discount immature spores if I know that they are immature.
Rhizocarpons in my brief experience seem to start off with small spores with not many cells and gradually get more and bigger.
And if I don't see septa I don't immediately assume that there aren't any. Warming and K sometimes help.
I haven't yet got into the staining mullarky but I know I should...

Chris