Graphis handelii in Britain

Neil Sanderson
Frequent user

Graphis handelii in Britain

Post by Neil Sanderson » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:10 pm

I have collected another odd thing from my local New Forest woods, a Graphis with a K + yellow to red spot test, with crystals, so containing norstictic acid, but looking very unlike Graphis elegans. I found this on a species rich Holly in Beech – Holly pasture woodland. It lacked any striations on the lirellae so I collected some out of curiosity.

2020-04-25-01.JPG
Odd Graphis on Holly

There have been a lot of pantropical Graphis species recored in Portugal recently, see https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... _to_Europe, so odd Graphis are worth checking out, especially ones with norstictic acid.

Looking inside the hymenium was obscured by what seemed to be small oil droplets i.e. the hymenium was inspersed with oil droplets; if that was what I was seeing, then this was not Graphis elegans and could not be a known British species! I collected some obvious Graphis elegans the next day to check. This looked very different internally, with no sign of free oil droplets, bigger thick walled spores and thicker paraphyses.

2020-04-25-02.JPG
Lirellae cross-section with inspersed hymenium, in water

2020-04-25-03.JPG
Lirellae cross-section with closer view of the inspersed hymenium, in water

2020-04-25-05JPG.JPG
Spores in water

Perplexed by the available Graphis keys but sure this was not Graphis elegans, I emailed Andre Aptroot and asked him if this was anything interesting. I got a prompt answer back that yes it was interesting and this was Graphis handelii, one of the pantropical Graphis species Andre had recored in Portugal. So new to Britain, and one to look out for, but is it widespread and over looked or it could be another New Forest rarity? More data might indicate if this is a rare relic or if it is recent a global warming colonist.

Description (edited since first put up): Thallus K + yellow to red, with crystals; lirellae erumpent, not striate, disk exposed on mature lirellae, not pruinose; hymenium inspersed with oil droplets; spores 25 - 45 x 7 - 9µm, 6 – 9 septate (also some smaller poorly formed spores, which were as small as 17 x 6µm and 5 septate). The habitat was quite acid Holly bark with Mycoporum lacteum, Schizotrema quercicola (Schismatomma quercicola), Anisomeridium ranunculosporum, Thelotrema lepadinum and Snippocia nivea (Schismatomma niveum) also noted on the Holly.

All the best

Neil
Last edited by Neil Sanderson on Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Sanderson

Paul Cannon
Regular user

Re: Graphis handelii in Britain

Post by Paul Cannon » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:43 pm

Interesting... Just to check, G. elegans also has K+ yellow to red with crystals? In LGBI2 it says K+ red (crystals) but I assume this is incorrect or a shortened description of the reaction.

Paul

Neil Sanderson
Frequent user

Post by Neil Sanderson » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:38 pm

Paul

Yes it has norstictic acid too.

Vince asked for a quick key:

1a Thallus K + yellow to red, producing crystals (norstictic acid) ... 2

1b Thallus K - or K + yellow ... 3

2a Lirellae striate, hymenium not inspersed with oil droplets, spores to 60 µm long ... Graphis elegans

2b Lirellae not striate, hymenium inspersed with oil droplets, spores to 45 µm long ... Graphis handelii

3a Spores muriform ... off to Graphis ruiziana, Graphis inustuloides and ‘Graphina’ pauciloculata

3b spores not muriform, three or more septate ... off to Fissurina alboscripta and Graphis scripta s. lat.

However, there could be more, I did get something more like Graphis cincta in the Burren but do not have the specimen on me now.

All the best

Neil
Last edited by Neil Sanderson on Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Neil Sanderson

Paul Cannon
Regular user

Post by Paul Cannon » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:51 pm

Thanks, but I think you meant G. elegans at the end of couplet 2a?

Mark's been tweeting about inconsistencies in description of K+ norstictic reactions in LGBI2, I guess this was another example.

Would be good to send material to Gothamie if you can, she'll be the expert guru for the Graphidaceae in the LGBI3 project.

Paul

Neil Sanderson
Frequent user

Post by Neil Sanderson » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:35 pm

Paul yes, corrected (was doing on my phone). Yes will contact Gothamie to send her the specimen

Neil
Neil Sanderson

Neil Sanderson
Frequent user

Post by Neil Sanderson » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:27 pm

For comparison Graphis elegans and Graphis handelii spores:

2020-04-25-06.JPG
Graphis handelii spores, c25µm long, note thin spore wall

2020-04-27-01.JPG
Graphis elegans spore, 60 x 13 µm, showing distinctive thick wall

Neil