Abrothallus on Melanohalea exasperata

JennyS
Regular user

Abrothallus on Melanohalea exasperata

Post by JennyS » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:24 pm

In 2012 I found a lichenicolous fungus on Melanohalea exasperata (SW Ireland). It was identified on the Yahoo lichen group by Paul Diederich as an unknown Abrothallus species and I sent him some specimens.

Remembered I found another (very small) example of it on Melanohalea exasperata in Dorset in 2013 and just wondered if anyone knew whether or not it had been named yet?
Abrothallus Ire 2012.jpg
Abrothallus Nov 2013 1.jpg
Abrothallus Nov 2013 2.jpg
Jenny Seawright

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Re: Abrothallus on Melanohalea exasperata

Post by Chris Johnson » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:17 am

An interesting post, Jenny, I must look out for it when I go up to Stornoway.

Does Kew have a sample?

Chris

Paul Cannon
Regular user

Post by Paul Cannon » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:37 am

Hello Jenny
No name for this yet, as far as I know. There are around 20 records of an unidentified Abrothallus on M. exasperata in the BLS database, mostly from western and Highland Scotland but a couple from SW England. However we need to be cautious as molecular data suggests that Abrothallus species aren't as host-specific as has been assumed. This needs to be tested further, but in the mean time I suggest you just record it as Abrothallus sp. and make sure the host is recorded.

Best wishes
Paul

JennyS
Regular user

Post by JennyS » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:45 am

Thanks Paul - interesting that Abrothallus species are possibly less host-specific than previously thought.
I've come across this one on Melanohalea exasperata twice (SW Ire and Dorset) but unable to submit records with only the genus.

Hi Chris - the Irish specimen was sent to Paul Diederich but the Dorset specimen only had a couple of apothecia and didn't think of sending it to Kew, but can if I come across another
Jenny Seawright

Mark Powell
Regular user

Post by Mark Powell » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:08 pm

The recommended way to submit records of unknowns or tentative identifications to the BLS database is to put just the genus in the 'Species' column (column J) and then to put a short description in the 'Record Notes' column (column R). For a lichenicolous fungus the host can be put in the small scale habitat column (e.g. Z1530 means lichenicolous on Xanthoria parietina). The host can also be stated in the Record Notes column if desired, or if the identity of the host is uncertain too. If a specimen is retained then there are columns to record the record the herbarium and species number.

It is incredibly useful if people do this. Brian and I are going to work on Pronectria later in the year, including describing some of the undescribed ones. We will interrogate the database for all the Pronectria records. Fortunately Brian has been submitting records of unknowns in this way for years so we have a quick way of finding details of all the 'unknown' Pronectria records.

JennyS
Regular user

Post by JennyS » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:28 pm

Thanks Mark - and looking forward to hearing more about the Pronectria work in due course
Jenny Seawright