Mushroom ID request

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Autumn378
New user

Mushroom ID request

Post by Autumn378 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:31 pm

I found these rather curious mushrooms the other day whilst out walking the dogs, have had very little luck finding anything in any identification book, though I am very new to all this. Found in mixed woodland in Edwinstowe Uk, in leaf litter, there were 7 or 8 nearby. Chestnut, beech, oak, pine and birch were trees I noticed near by. Lots of dead fallen trees and wet conditions.

I'd just love to know what this is! Never seen anything like it.
Attachments
_20191011_220621.JPG
_20191011_220853.JPG
_20191011_220928.JPG

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: Mushroom ID request

Post by Lancashire Lad » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:03 pm

Hi, and welcome to UK Fungi.

Whatever these are, they are well past their best, and aren't really showing all of the necessary the macro characteristics that would go towards a confident identification.

However, they are a bolete species, and with those large red pores, I'd be looking at something along the lines of Chalciporus piperatus - (Peppery Bolete).

The pores on that species are noticeably large when compared to most other boletes, they do turn red in aged specimens, and they do, also in aged specimens, sometimes take on this more decurrent look. (i.e. the pore surface appears to be extending part way down the stem, rather than meeting it more or less square on).

And, if that's a mummified acorn that can be seen at right hand side of fruitbody in final shot, the tiny fruitbodies growing on it might well be Ciboria batchiana. (Although to be fair, the colour does look slightly off for that species).

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

Autumn378
New user

Post by Autumn378 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:06 pm

Thank you ever so much for such a quick and thorough reply! I had a hunch from hours of scouring books it was a bolete of some kind. Your reply was very helpful, thank you!

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:14 pm

Hi - Scratch what I just said. :oops: :oops:

I've just realised that in both shots there seems to be what looks like an old white spherical fruitbody that would in the circumstances be the Earthball - Scleroderma citrinum - And your boletes appear to be growing from it!

Therefore, if that is the case, these would, without doubt, be old (and still past their best ;) ) Parasitic Boletes - Pseudoboletus parasiticus.

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

Autumn378
New user

Post by Autumn378 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:25 pm

I think you've cracked it! I forgot to mention the presence of earthballs and puffballs in the area also, and these were indeed appearing to grow from it/under it. I've googled parasitic boletes and most are similar but I did come across one image featuring a specimen with red pores. Very thrilled to have an answer, exciting as they are also apparently fairly rare. Thank you again! :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:59 am

Fantastic find! Maybe submit the record to your county recorder!