tiny 3mm diameter white fungi on mossy oak branch

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
ant123
User

tiny 3mm diameter white fungi on mossy oak branch

Post by ant123 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:59 pm

Hi, seen today on Exmoor, north Devon. They were in several places on the living oak tree. Caps 3 to 4mm in diameter. Does anyone know what they are?
Attachments
33 detail.jpg
32 detail.jpg

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: tiny 3mm diameter white fungi on mossy oak branch

Post by Lancashire Lad » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:33 pm

Could be something like Phloeomana (Mycena) minutula, but there are several of these small whitish bark inhabiting mushrooms, and characteristics such as stipe attachment, gill numbers and spacing, etc. etc. would all be needed. (As would microscopy in all probability, to be anything like confident with ID).

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

ant123
User

Post by ant123 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:02 pm

Thank you Mike. If I can get a better photo tomorrow I'll post it.

They are so tiny. Are they common in the UK?

Anthony

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:12 pm

Hi,

There are over 1000 records (which is quite a reasonable number, comparatively speaking) for Phloeomana minutula, on the Fungal Records Database of Britain & Ireland, but under one of its former names - Mycena olida.

(It's always useful to search for synonymy with fungi names as nomenclature changes quite frequently!)

You might find that one species under: -
Agaricus minutulus Peck, Bull. Buffalo Soc. nat. Sci. 1(2): 47 (1873) [1873-74]
Hemimycena olida (Bres.) Singer ined.
Marasmiellus olidus (Bres.) Singer, Lilloa 22: 302 (1951) [1949]
Mycena gypsea sensu Lange [Fl. Ag. Dan. 2: 41 & pl. 52B (1936)]
Mycena hiemalis sensu Cooke [Ill. Brit. Fung. 164 (250) lower figs Vol. 2 (1882)]
Mycena minutula Sacc., Syll. fung. (Abellini) 5: 263 (1887)
Mycena olida Bres., Fung. trident. 1(6-7): 73 (1887)
Mycena olida var. latocystidiosa Robich, Mycena d'Europa (Trento) 2: 1245 (2016)
Mycena parvula Murrill, Mycologia 8(4): 221 (1916)
Phloeomana minutula (Sacc.) Redhead, Index Fungorum 290: 1 (2016)
Prunulus parvulus Murrill, N. Amer. Fl. (New York) 9(5): 323 (1916)

Several little white Mycena species are quite common in the woods in my area (Lancashire).
Some inhabit mossy bark of living trees, others inhabit leaf litter, dead twigs, or dead herbaceous material.

NB: It's always worth noting whether the stem has a basal "disc" where it attaches to the substrate, and whether the mushroom has grooves/bristles/scales/granules of any description on stems or caps.
Obviously, a good hand lens will come in very handy when dealing with these tiny species!

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

ant123
User

Post by ant123 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:51 pm

Mike, thank you again. I think the caps and stems have granules. I couldn't see the base of the stems. Here are a couple more photos.

The Wikipedia page said that Mycena olida had a cap diameter up to 15mm. None of the ones I saw had a cap diameter over 5mm, most were 2 - 3mm.
Attachments
31 detail.jpg
40 detail.jpg