Possible Leratiomyces ceres?

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
annie
New user

Possible Leratiomyces ceres?

Post by annie » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:25 pm

Hello all,

I would really appreciate some help in identifying some lovely fungi I recently came across. I'm wondering if they may be Leratiomyces ceres or am I on the wrong track?

There were loads of these just under the leaf litter on a path (next to grassland under mixed trees: scots pine, oak and yew). I think the path may be wood chips underneath the leaves. The mature specimens were approx 4cm in diameter and seemed to have very pronounced red stripes on the stem. They had no obvious smell and their shape was really varied. I tried to take a spore print without much luck (I don't think my specimen was mature enough.) I'm based near Box hill in the south of England.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks!
Annie
20181122_141039.jpg
20181122_141431.jpg
Attachments
20181123_141910.jpg
20181123_142034.jpg
20181123_142727.jpg
20181123_142752.jpg

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Re: Possible Leratiomyces ceres?

Post by Chris Johnson » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:41 am

Hi Annie

That looks spot-on to me.

Regards, Chris

annie
New user

Post by annie » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:43 am

Thanks Chris!

It always drives me mad when I can't identify something quite distinctive.

I see you're in the Outer Hebrides. I visit Harris each summer and not spotted much but I will be more on the alert after seeing the gorgeous examples on your site.

Thanks again,
Annie

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Post by Chris Johnson » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:10 am

Hi Annie

Summer is not the best time for fungi, especially on Harris which is rugged and almost devoid of trees.

However, we are the biological recorders for the archipeligo so any authenticated records you have (except birds) are welcome.
OHBR https://www.ohbr.org.uk/

Cheers, Chris