Baffled!

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
NickWood
Regular user

Baffled!

Post by NickWood » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:00 pm

At first sight I thought this might be Mycena pura, but the spores are at odds with this. I’ve attached images of the same spores taken at three levels, and these suggest small warts or spines. The images of basidia seem to indicate they are 2-spored rather than 4-spored, but that might be my misunderstanding of the images. (Sorry the images are not as sharp as I'd like.)
Help please! This seems to be cross between a Mycena and a Laccaria!
Description
Cap: 5cm, slightly umbonate with upturned edges, light lilac-brown, smooth, viscid when wet, fragile and easily broken
Gills: Close, emarginate, lilac-brown
Stem: Lilac-brown, with pale streaks, widening towards base, base covered with white hairs
Spore print: White/cream
Spores: Inamyloid, very variable in shape and size, subglobose to ellipsoidal, ornamented with tiny warts or spines, 4.2-9.4 x 3.9-4.9μm.
Basidia: Clavate, 25+ x 5.5-7.7μm, 2-spored, with sterigmata up to 4.5μm long
Habitat: Only one fruit-body found in leaf litter/moss/soil in deciduous wood, nearest trees being willows, birch and sycamore.
Your help greatly appreciated... Nick
Attachments
01 Lilac 01.JPG
Fruit-body
01 Lilac 02.JPG
General features
01 Lilac 03.jpg
Spores at three levels
01 Lilac 04.jpg
Basidia

mollisia
Frequent user

Re: Baffled!

Post by mollisia » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:55 am

Hello,

this is typical Lepista sordida.

the pictures in NO and SW show that the basidia are more than 2-spored (means 4-spored).

best regards,
Andreas

NickWood
Regular user

Re: Baffled!

Post by NickWood » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:47 am

mollisia wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:55 am
Hello,
this is typical Lepista sordida.
the pictures in NO and SW show that the basidia are more than 2-spored (means 4-spored).
best regards,
Andreas
Many thanks, Andreas, for the identification - greatly appreciated : )
All the best... Nick