Unidentified fungus - ID Request

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
MaxRum
Regular user

Post by MaxRum » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:53 pm

Hi,

Here in Malta, I have found a similar Entoloma that is displayed in the original post at pic 4 (Pink gills with subtle blue tints). by chance have you identified this species ? My specimen has the same light brown colours with pink-tinted gills, cap not more than 10mm.

Thanks

ADMIN EDIT - This fungus isn't an Entoloma, (note the extremely decurrent gills), so I have moved the posts in question away from the "Entoloma - biting the bullet" thread, in order to avoid that thread being taken off topic.
Regards,
Mike.
Attachments
IMG_0138s.jpg

MaxRum
Regular user

Post by MaxRum » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:57 pm

Photo showing surface of pileus. Growing in moosy alkaline ground in an open maquis.
Attachments
IMG_0147s.jpg

Flaxton
Frequent user

Re: Unidentified fungus - ID Request

Post by Flaxton » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:56 pm

Possibly a lichenomphilia (umbellifera)

mollisia
Frequent user

Post by mollisia » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:25 am

Hello,

more likely an Arrhenia species.
We have Arrhenia rickenii very often in open, sheep-grazed grassland on calcareous soil in Istria (Croatia).

Btw.: There are Entoloma species which look similar to this and have such decurrent gills. So without microscopy I wouldn't bet that it is not an Entoloma after all ....

best regards,
Andreas

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:26 am

It really would be useful if people could do a routine spore-print, it would make things a lot more straightforward in many cases.
My money would definitely be on Arrhenia - here is A. rickenii growing on thin base-rich soil on an old industrial site:
Arrhenia rickenii 0a.jpg
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"