Can anyone confirm if I am correct please?

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Deborah
User

Can anyone confirm if I am correct please?

Post by Deborah » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:08 pm

Hello. I found these today - growing in very damp ground on the bank of a stream which regularly floods. Rather shady amongst a variety of scrub/shrubs as well as some kind of conifer which I couldn't identify. It's a managed mixed forest plantation. At first I thought Lactarius deliciosus - which I've found elsewhere - but the caps of some were very large (20 cm). These are not that large, (max 13 cm) across, and there's no green markings - but perhaps that's not essential? Bright orange milk, but maroon after a while, not green. This makes me think Lactarius deterrimus?

Photo shows maroon marks, plus fresh orange milk.
I'm in Central Brittany.
Any help much appreciated.
Attachments
image.jpeg

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: Can anyone confirm if I am correct please?

Post by Lancashire Lad » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:45 pm

Hi,

Have you ruled out Lactarius salmonicolor?

I've never actually seen that one myself, but, like L.deliciosus, it does have the orange pits on its stems (whereas L.deterrimus doesn't), and I understand that it can get to around 20cm diameter.

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

mollisia
Frequent user

Post by mollisia » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:52 pm

Hello,

it indeed looks like L. salmonicolor, because of the pale orange cap which often has no concentric areas.
But that species is confined to Abies, which is not native in Britain as far as I suppose - so there must be some planted Abies trees ....

best regards,
Andreas

Deborah
User

Post by Deborah » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:32 am

Thanks for your comments.
Looking at info about Picea abies I see that it's a widely planted forestry tree and doesn't mind acid soil nor damp ground - both of which feature heavily here - And yet another memo to me get to grips with evergreen/conifer identification.

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:23 pm

I think Andreas was referring to the genus Abies (the Firs) - which are not native but are found in numerous plantations. There are only 44 records in the Uk for L.salmonicolor which makes it quite rare but you are in France anyway.
What about Lactarius quieticolor?
Adam Pollard
Site admin