Distribution of European Pear Rust

Plant diseases
poschiavanus
User

Distribution of European Pear Rust

Post by poschiavanus » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:36 pm

I had a conversation last week about how European Pear Rust (Gymnosporangium sabinae) has apparently become much commoner in Cambridge over the past 2-3 years In Notts I've tended to find it whenever I've come across a pear tree, and similarly in Berkshire. It so happens I have two or three records from North Cambridge (TL4461) from back in 2012, so I never gave them a thought.

I've been looking at other available distribution data (which, of course, are not necessarily a proxy for abundance). There seem to be plenty of records for Leicestershire (via NatureSpot) and Worcestershire (Worcs BRC & Wyre Forest Study Group). Our own Chris Yeates "Rusts of Yorkshire" in the version I have (2012) has just 2 old records. I don't believe the rust has been found in SW Wales by Arthur Chater, Nigel Stringer and Paul Smith (perhaps they've been too busy with exotic smuts), but is known from Anglesey & Caernarfon (Woods et al,).

Therefore I thought I'd try and poll people to see if they regularly see it in their patches, and if they have any impression of increased abundance.

BTW: I get the impression that many modern records are on Pear rather than Juniper, but the evidence is strong that this species is heteroecious and requires both hosts.

All the best.

Jerry (aka Posch)

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Re: Distribution of European Pear Rust

Post by Chris Yeates » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:27 pm

Hi Jerry
I'll keep an eye open, I don't come across many pear trees - though I'm sure I saw nothing on a tree I noticed in suburban Huddersfield a week ago.
To give people an idea of what they are looking for:
Gymnosporangium sabinae 0a.jpg
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

JennyS
Regular user

Re: Distribution of European Pear Rust

Post by JennyS » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:46 am

Hi Jerry and Chris,

Never looked for it before but I found a few examples on pear trees at Kingston Lacy, Wimborne, Dorset in October.
http://www.dorsetnature.co.uk/pages-gall/g-333.html
Jenny