Golf ball fungi ID please...

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Quoasis
New user

Golf ball fungi ID please...

Post by Quoasis » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:33 am

Hi,

I came across this fungi whilst walking through some mixed (deciduous) woodland - it was on it's own & it's probably common, but I can't find an image online or in my general nature that looks similar.

The ball part is approx. 6cm across

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_1247[1].JPG

adampembs
Frequent user

Re: Golf ball fungi ID please...

Post by adampembs » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:36 am

I would guess Chlorophyllum brunneum but its immature and a photo in a couple of days would help.
Adam Pollard
Site admin

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:38 am

Also, a clear shot of the base and ring when it has fully developed.
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Quoasis
New user

Post by Quoasis » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:59 am

Thanks - I'll try to get down there again in the next few days. I hadn't realised it wasn't fully developed yet - I was looking for images of round fungi! :o

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:48 am

Looking at fairly random images online, which returns results from variable quality website, is not the best approach. Anyone can upload a photo, mis-identify it and then the world thinks their image is correct.

Better to get a good guidebook. We have a list of good books and more reputable online resources below. Guide books are arranged by spore colour, which is the first step when identifying an unknown mushroom. Then you can just flick through, say, the brown-spored species. Even good guide books only have the most common species, but they help you to understand the important features to look for and to get an idea of the different groups of fungi, which narrows it down a lot.
http://www.fungi.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=156
Adam Pollard
Site admin