field mushroom

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
loojnkns
New user

field mushroom

Post by loojnkns » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:08 am

Is this a field mushroom, I have had a good look in my books and the only onther thing it can be is a wood mushroom. I am a bit confused because it is on a bit of lawn at the front of a house in birmingham. Can you get field mushrooms in the city?
Attachments
DSC_0006.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG

adampembs
Frequent user

Re: field mushroom

Post by adampembs » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:30 am

Its not a "field mushroom", it's a "lawn mushroom" :D

Seriously though, it's a member of the Agaricus genus, but getting to species is not easy, and is not considered gospel, as the genus needs to be updated in line with DNA work. Conventional ID with Kibby's synoptic key requires smell, cutting in half and looking for reddening or yellowing, plus a chemical test with KOH. Any trees nearby?
Adam Pollard
Site admin

loojnkns
New user

Post by loojnkns » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:21 am

Hi it didn't bruies yellow or have any yellowing at stem, I cooked it up as i was pretty sure it wasn't the yellow staining mushroom. it smelt more inky than mushroomy though and it smelt a bit like chemicals. it also tasted of chemicals as well so i didn't eat much. It wasn't sprayed with anything and the tree that was by it was a garden tree it may have been a sorbus.
I have another picture of them looking older. which i will post. It spored brown and when really young gills were white but soon pink, then i think brown but i could check that they are still there.
Attachments
IMG_20180911_144536.jpg

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:26 pm

loojnkns wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:21 am
. . . . . I cooked it up as i was pretty sure it wasn't the yellow staining mushroom. it smelt more inky than mushroomy though and it smelt a bit like chemicals. it also tasted of chemicals as well so i didn't eat much. . . . .
You still cooked it and ate some when you didn't know exactly what species it was????? :roll:

If you are going to eat fungi, t's all well and good being " pretty sure" of what it's not - but it's absolutely essential that you are damned well sure of what it is!

In 2008, the author, Nicholas Evans, was pretty sure he'd found Ceps, and cooked them and fed them to himself and his family. They ended up needing Kidney transplants!

If you don't know 100% what species it is, and that the species is edible and good, you don't eat it full stop.

I've locked this thread so no more comment will be taken. and the thread will be deleted later today.
Common sense is not so common.

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:03 pm

I'm going to leave this post here as a warning to those who are only interested in fungi for eating.

Most of us in this website are wildlife enthusiasts of one sort or another.
When you ask for an ID, we give an answer based on a reasonable amount of certainty suitable for recording a biological record.

If I say I think this is species A, it is because I am certain enough that it is for the purposes of biological recording.
I you ask me if this is fungus A and it might result in your death if I'm wrong, I will be less inclined to give an ID.

Be considerate! Most of our enthusiasts give IDs on perhaps a 95-99% confidence basis. Its enough for records, because what's the worse that can happen with a record? You get a slight discrepancy on statistical reporting. Most of us do not have public liability insurance, so do not want to pay out massive damages to your family because you killed yourself.

Be honest, if you are a forager and that is all you are interest in, then move on to a site that permits it. We don't, so any posts that have the slightest hint of being for consumption will be regarded with suspicion.
Adam Pollard
Site admin