ID please and a question

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
NellyDee
Regular user

ID please and a question

Post by NellyDee » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:07 pm

Not been around for a while - fungi just appearing here. first two photos:- Masses of these have appeared and obviously loved by the slugs sizes ranging from dinner plate size to small, could not find any that were not eaten. In moss under beech trees.

I noticed what I think look like polypore. Growing along the burn bank. If you look top left of centre there is one in the moss that looks like a grey hoof. Beneath the bank of moss, along a tree root that is along the top of the rocks, it look to me like lots of fosilised polypore, or maybe ones continually washed by the water rushing past. What do you think? ID please :roll:
Attachments
DSCF3189.JPG
DSCF3192.JPG
DSCF3195.JPG

adampembs
Frequent user

Re: ID please and a question

Post by adampembs » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:28 pm

This is a bolete as it has a cap, stem and gills rather than being attached to a tree as a bracket like a polypore.
The next step is to see if it belongs to the Xerocomus group - by tearing a piece of the cap and seeing if the tubes split or stay whole.
Also good to look for flesh discolouration on cutting in half like below.

P1080345.JPG
Blue discolouration on cutting a bolete
It could be something like Boletus calopus (now called Caloboletus calopus)
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Flaxton
Frequent user

Post by Flaxton » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:12 am

I would agree with calopus.

NellyDee
Regular user

Post by NellyDee » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:04 am

Thanks guys, but could you answer my question on last photo re polypore. I cannot get near them, either to get better photos or to get sample. but it would be interesting to know if you do think they are polypore.

Flaxton
Frequent user

Post by Flaxton » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:12 am

Hi
From just this photo it is impossible to even confirm that it is fungal. We would definitely need a more detailed one of both the top and the underside to start the id process.
Mal

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:42 pm

Flaxton wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:12 am
Hi
From just this photo it is impossible to even confirm that it is fungal. We would definitely need a more detailed one of both the top and the underside to start the id process.
Mal
I just looks like fractures in the rock matrix to me . . . .
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

NellyDee
Regular user

Post by NellyDee » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:39 pm

OK Thanks, thought that maybe the case. Impossible for me to get down the side of the burn or even get near it, posted just in case you may have seen something like it before.