Small conical and grey/white fungi identification

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
wren
New user

Small conical and grey/white fungi identification

Post by wren » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:29 am

Morning everyone,

I came across your forum as I've been trying to identify this for a few hours and think I've tried every online tool available.

I found them in the lawn this morning. They're approx. 40-50mm tall, the stem is around 1.5mm and the cap approx. 15-20mm. The colour in the photos is fairly true to life - a white stem with a grey/white cap. The lawn was mown a couple of days ago, so there aren't any older examples I can share.

I'm not concerned about them, just curious as I haven't been able to identify them yet. :)

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
20180808_111219.jpg

wren
New user

Re: Small conical and grey/white fungi identification

Post by wren » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:08 pm

p.s. I thought it looked a little like Mycena arcangeliana, but the colour isn't a match.

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:57 pm

Dear Wren,

I think these are an "inkcap" species. The stem is hairy, which suggest Coprinellus species. (I first thought it was a Parasola, but the stem is more hairy than I would expect)
The first thing to check with mushrooms, is the spore colour. Ideally this is done with a spore print, but often, a good guess can be made by looking at the gill colour. A Mycena would typically have pale gills (white spores), while an inkcap would have dark gills (black spores) Unfortunately, we cant see the gills.

If you check the FAQ section, there is a guide to "helping us help you ID a find" - this is worth reading to help with future identification.

Best wishes
Adam Pollard
Site admin

wren
New user

Post by wren » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:10 am

Sorry for the late reply Adam, I've just returned from my holiday.

Many thanks for your assistance. There are more in the lawn now, so I'll try a spore print and see what I come up with. I still can't find anything that matches colour-wise, but hopefully the spores will help with identification.

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:02 pm

The colour of mushrooms can vary a lot, depending on weather, age, and even within a species, so its not the most reliable character to use.
Spore colour, on the other hand, is much more reliable and is the first step in using identification keys. Many field guides divide fungi into sections by spore colour. I would recommend a good field guide over Googling images. It can get you to the first step. The pleated cap is quite typical of Parasola species, but these are supposed to have a smooth stem. If you have a hand lens, also look for veil fragments on the cap, granules or woolly tufts etc, which can get washed off in the rain.
Adam Pollard
Site admin