Unidentified Fungus

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Bob Hazell
Regular user

Unidentified Fungus

Post by Bob Hazell » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:25 am

I would appreciate any identification suggestions for this fungus which I photographed on 13th June. It was growing singularly at Barnack Hills & Holes NR near Stamford, Lincolnshire. The site is a SSSI and is a limestone grassland with fantastic displays of orchids. The fungus was approx. 9cm tall and the cap diameter about 4cm.
Attachments
P1250277WEB.jpg
P1250281WEB.jpg

mollisia
Frequent user

Re: Unidentified Fungus

Post by mollisia » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:34 pm

Hello,

may be a dried up Xerula radicata (Hymenipellis radicatus)

best regards,
Andreas

Bob Hazell
Regular user

Re: Unidentified Fungus

Post by Bob Hazell » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:44 pm

Many apologies for not replying earlier - I don't appear to have received a reply notification. Many thanks for your suggestion. Certainly "gone-over" specimens of Xerula radicata look very similar and this seems the most likely identification. The site is limestone and was apparently quarried about 1500 years ago and has been left largely undisturbed. The odd tree is now encroaching the site so it is possible that there was some buried wood beneath the surface which I hadn't noticed. Thanks again for the possible identification and for taking the time to reply.