Polyporus

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Zhizn
User

Polyporus

Post by Zhizn » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:15 pm

Hi All,

Found this on an old tree round in the garden. It is so old that the type of tree can't be identified. The cap is 10-12 across at about 7cm high. The location is South Coast Hampshire. My suspicion is that it is Polyporus squamosus but not sure.

Can you help confirm?
Polyporus2.jpg
Polyporus.jpg
Apologies for shallow DoF and poor focus on the cap.

Thanks

mollisia
Frequent user

Re: Polyporus

Post by mollisia » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:50 am

Hello,

to me it seems more likely to be Polyporus tuberaster, but it is not sure to tell just from the foto in my opinion.
If you have the fruitbody still fresh, you can squash a piece of it between your fingers and smell: Polyporus squamosus has an intense odor like freshly cut cucumbers or "mealy" as the mycologists say (farinaceous), whereas Polyporus tuberaster does have no smell or a faint fungus-like odor.

P. tuberaster ususally is smaller than squamosus, is usually centrally stipitate (squamosus lateral) and attached to Fagus-branches. P. squamosus usually grows on stumps or lying or standing stems of living or dead trees like Populus, Fraxinus, Aesculus, Salix etc., but rarly on Fagus.

best regards,
Andreas

Zhizn
User

Re: Polyporus

Post by Zhizn » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:39 pm

Thank you Andreas for the detailed response. I'm afraid it has passed its fresh phase now.

Regards
Mark