Fungi or Gall

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
NellyDee
Regular user

Fungi or Gall

Post by NellyDee » Wed May 30, 2018 1:07 pm

This growth is on a very old beech tree I am not certain if it is fungal or a gall. the large growths I have seen on trees were generally a lot smoother or lined almost taking on the bark look. What is confusing me with this is appears crumbly and as if something (possibly bird) has made it it's nest. I don't suppose you could point me in the right direction?
Attachments
DSCF2481.JPG

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: Fungi or Gall

Post by Lancashire Lad » Wed May 30, 2018 3:55 pm

Hi Nelly,

I think this is what is generally known as a "burr". (Americans would call it a "burl").

They are produced as a result of some sort of injury or stress to the tree causing localised & greatly increased cell division, producing these deformed growths.
They can, I believe, be triggered by bacterial or fungal means.

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

NellyDee
Regular user

Re: Fungi or Gall

Post by NellyDee » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:09 am

Thank you Mike, informative as ever :)