Peziza sp.?

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
NickWood
Regular user

Peziza sp.?

Post by NickWood » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:29 pm

Hi Forum,
Hopefully you can help to identify this fungus. From my reading, it may be a Peziza sp. The lack of a significant stem seems to rule out a Helvella sp.
Only one, found last week in low grass and moss on a canal bank, a few metres away from the hedgerow on the opposite side of the towpath. No trees near.
Cap 4cm, darkish to light brown; the stem not much more than a stub 7mm x 7mm (not hollow). Flesh and underside lighter brown, the underside smooth (not wrinkled), with no sign of hairs. Quite a pungent mushroom smell.
I didn’t do very well getting spores, but the few I got correspond roughly in size and features to those in the ascus (ascus: approx. 18.70 μm wide; spores: ellipsoid, minutely warted, 17.91-21.18 x 9.61-12.04 μm). Insets in image of ascus (100x EDF composite) to show spore features.
Attached is an image of the fungus in situ.
I appreciate there are problems adding multiple images, so I’ll attach further images in “Replies”.
Cheers... Nick
Attachments
01.JPG

NickWood
Regular user

Re: Peziza sp.?

Post by NickWood » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:30 pm

Peziza sp.? Further images:
Attachments
02.jpg
03.jpg

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:30 pm

Hi
a section through the fruitbody can furnish useful information. There is a helpful basic key here: http://www.fieldmycology.net/GBCHKLST/key.asp?KeyID=8

best wishes
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

mollisia
Frequent user

Post by mollisia » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:50 pm

Hello,

this is most likely Disciotis venosa.
If you have a microscope at hand, you can pick a small piece of the hymenium and squash it in Melzers Reagens (or Luglos solution) -> if the ascus tips turn blue it is a Peziza species. If the ascus tips do not turn blue, it is not a Peziza species, but A Disciotis, a Helv ella, an Otidea, etc. p.p.

My guess is nevertheless Disciotis venosa. If you have it still in fresh condition: It smells like chlorine.

best regards,
Andreas

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:50 pm

mollisia wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:50 pm
Hello,

this is most likely Disciotis venosa.
If you have a microscope at hand, you can pick a small piece of the hymenium and squash it in Melzers Reagens (or Luglos solution) -> if the ascus tips turn blue it is a Peziza species. If the ascus tips do not turn blue, it is not a Peziza species, but A Disciotis, a Helv ella, an Otidea, etc. p.p.

My guess is nevertheless Disciotis venosa. If you have it still in fresh condition: It smells like chlorine.

best regards,
Andreas
Hi Andreas
Yes I wondered about that - it's the right time of the year. But Nick said the spores were "minutely warted" and the Disciotis venosa apothecia I have seen have always been more wrinkled than that. But I bow to your greater experience, clearly the test you suggest will sort it out.

LG
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

mollisia
Frequent user

Post by mollisia » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:26 pm

Hello,

I don't think that the spores on the pictures are warted. I think it is dirt or small bubbles which are laying partly on the spores. The distribution of the "warts" is too unequal to be a real ornamentation.
The wrinkles in Disciotis are due to age - younger fruitbodies are not wrinkled at all, and the wrinkles develop by time.
Disciotis_venosa_Jena_G1.jpg
young fruitbody of Disciotis venosa

But of course it is only my suggestion and has to be verified by microscopy.

best regards,
Andreas

NickWood
Regular user

Post by NickWood » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:18 am

Many thanks, Chris and Andreas, for your insights - greatly appreciated!
Unfortunately, a few days ago the specimen had dried to a crisp so was thrown out. I'll visit the site again this weekend with the hope another has emerged. Perhaps I can then do the tests suggested.
I wonder about the habitat. Isn't Disciotis venosa associated with woodland? The site I found the specimen would perhaps be best described as grassland.
When I suggested "minutely warted", I was basing this on the spores in the ascus, and the insets seem to indicate a minutely lumpy rather than smooth surface. (I included the insets as the EDF process I used tends to smooth surfaces).
I've attached one more image. I'm not sure this will be more helpful. Top left is one of the free-floating spores I photographed. Below this are two examples of several "green" spores I found (one ellipsoid, one globular) that I took for contamination. On the right is another shot of an ascus.
Many thanks, again, for your help and very informative responses.
Nick
Attachments
CompositeJPG.jpg