Fungus Of The Day (One identified fungus only please, with species name in attachment comment and in post)

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Re: Fungus Of The Day (One identified fungus only please, with species name in attachment comment and in post)

Post by Chris Yeates » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:44 pm

Chris Johnson wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:52 am
Sphaerellothecium minutum.

Smith, et alThe Lichens of Great Britain and Ireland note: 'The most common lichenicolous fungus on S. fragilis is the small ‘pyromycete’ Sphaerellothecium minutum Hafellner ..."
I'm grateful to Paul Cannon who advised it was what I have, told me what to look for, and provided literature. He will be credited with the identification. A sample has gone to Kew. Apparently the third British record.
Only just caught up with this one. I would recommend popping this on ASCOfrance. Alain Gardiennet is peoducing an impressive resource of lichenicolous fungi there. Four species of Sphaerellothecium on that site, but not yours. PLus those are good quality images.

Regards
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Re: Fungus Of The Day (One identified fungus only please, with species name in attachment comment and in post)

Post by Chris Johnson » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:04 am

Chris Yeates wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:44 pm
Chris Johnson wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:52 am
Sphaerellothecium minutum.

Only just caught up with this one. I would recommend popping this on ASCOfrance. Alain Gardiennet is peoducing an impressive resource of lichenicolous fungi there. Four species of Sphaerellothecium on that site, but not yours. PLus those are good quality images.

Regards
Chris
Will do Chris, in due course. Struggling with shingles at present and have little energy. Still have a few to load on our own website.

Regards, Chris