Fungus Of The Day (One identified fungus only please, with species name in attachment comment and in post)

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Re: Fungus Of The Day (One identified fungus only please, with species name in attachment comment and in post)

Post by Chris Yeates » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:44 pm

Chris Johnson wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:52 am
Sphaerellothecium minutum.

Smith, et alThe Lichens of Great Britain and Ireland note: 'The most common lichenicolous fungus on S. fragilis is the small ‘pyromycete’ Sphaerellothecium minutum Hafellner ..."
I'm grateful to Paul Cannon who advised it was what I have, told me what to look for, and provided literature. He will be credited with the identification. A sample has gone to Kew. Apparently the third British record.
Only just caught up with this one. I would recommend popping this on ASCOfrance. Alain Gardiennet is producing an impressive resource of lichenicolous fungi there. Four species of Sphaerellothecium on that site, but not yours. PLus those are good quality images.

Regards
Chris
Last edited by Chris Yeates on Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Re: Fungus Of The Day (One identified fungus only please, with species name in attachment comment and in post)

Post by Chris Johnson » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:04 am

Chris Yeates wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:44 pm
Chris Johnson wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:52 am
Sphaerellothecium minutum.

Only just caught up with this one. I would recommend popping this on ASCOfrance. Alain Gardiennet is peoducing an impressive resource of lichenicolous fungi there. Four species of Sphaerellothecium on that site, but not yours. PLus those are good quality images.

Regards
Chris
Will do Chris, in due course. Struggling with shingles at present and have little energy. Still have a few to load on our own website.

Regards, Chris

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:07 pm

The first specimens I found of this had dry stems and I was puzzled as to what "Mycena" this might be; I wondered about M. speirea. When more typical, slimy-stiped ones were found it was obvious. But I thought I'll put together a "plate" of this and see what characters are useful in cases of "dry" collections.
Key is the structure of the cap surface - the pileipellis. Those ± globose elements with pale brownish vacuolar contents are diagnostic (and very un-Mycena-like). It is no wonder that it was split from Mycena; that genus is clearly polyphyletic - expect a lot of further name changes in coming years . . .
So, species / plate number 706:
Roridomyces roridus 0a.jpg
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Post by Chris Johnson » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:22 am

Chris Yeates wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:07 pm
The first specimens I found of this had dry stems and I was puzzled as to what "Mycena" this might be; I wondered about M. speirea. When more typical, slimy-stiped ones were found it was obvious. But I thought I'll put together a "plate" of this and see what characters are useful in cases of "dry" collections.
Key is the structure of the cap surface - the pileipellis. Those ± globose elements with pale brownish vacuolar contents are diagnostic (and very un-Mycena-like). It is no wonder that it was split from Mycena; that genus is clearly polyphyletic - expect a lot of further name changes in coming years . . .
So, species / plate number 706:
Nicely done as usual. Just 294 to go then?

Regards, Chris

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:51 am

Can I have a signed copy when the book is ready? :D
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:28 pm

Amanita phalloides - (Deathcap).

Hadn't seen many of these at all, prior to this year. - Five or six at most. But finding them in profusion at the moment. (Counted 30+ yesterday).

Images 1 & 2 five days ago, final image is the same pair as in image 2 but showing what they looked like yesterday.

Regards,
Mike.
Amanita phalloides - Deathcap1.jpg
Amanita phalloides
Amanita phalloides - Deathcap2.jpg
Amanita phalloides
Amanita phalloides - Deathcap3.jpg
Amanita phalloides
Common sense is not so common.

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:40 pm

Upright Coral - Ramaria stricta: -
Ramaria stricta - Upright Coral.jpg
Ramaria stricta - (Upright Coral)
Regards,
Mike.

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:39 pm

Volvopluteus gloiocephalus - Stubble Rosegill
Attachments
P9210059.JPG
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Post by Chris Johnson » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:19 am

Hygrocybe miniata - a youngster just 5 mm across.
Attachments
Hygrocybe-miniata-06.jpg

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:24 pm

Pseudocraterellus undulatus - Sinuous Chanterelle: -
Pseudocraterellus undulatus - Sinuous Chanterelle.jpg
Pseudocraterellus undulatus - Sinuous Chanterelle.
Regards,
Mike

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:46 am

Macrolepiota mastoidea - Slender Parasol: -
Macrolepiota mastoidea - Slender Parasol.jpg
Macrolepiota mastoidea - Slender Parasol.
Regards,
Mike.

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:32 pm

Craterellus cornucopioides - Horn of Plenty: -
Craterellus cornucopiodes - Horn of Plenty (small).jpg
Craterellus cornucopioides - Horn of Plenty.
Regards,
Mike.