Fungus Of The Day (One identified fungus only please, with species name in attachment comment and in post)

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Re: Fungus Of The Day (One identified fungus only please, with species name in attachment comment and in post)

Post by Chris Yeates » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:39 pm

Ophiobolus ponticus Petr.
Ophiobolus ponticus.jpg
The background information is all in the image. This is the second British record - see: http://www.fieldmycology.net/FRDBI/FRDB ... BNum=62627. More about the species here (Paul Cannon has updated the info based on this collection): http://fungi.myspecies.info/all-fungi/o ... s-ponticus

cheers
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

roy betts
Frequent user

Re: Fungus Of The Day (One identified fungus only please, with species name in attachment comment and in post)

Post by roy betts » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:50 am

This was spotted about the 14th April by my sister-in-law, growing in last years tomato 'gro-bags' in her greenhouse. She'd pulled them up as 'buttons' and to me the buff-ochre caps looked like an Agaricus or maybe Calocybe gambosa. The gills were whitish but there was no mealy smell.
With a little encouragement in a moist environment they expanded to 50mm (see attached images).
The gill edge was clearly fimbriate: the lecythiform cystidia and spore colour pointed to Conocybe and with that stout structure it could only be Conocybe intrusa ! Spore shape & size confirm the ID. First time I've seen this.
Attachments
Conocybe intrusa 005a.JPG
Conocybe intrusa
Conocybe intrusa 001a.JPG
Conocybe intrusa 3
Conocybe intrusa 005a.JPG
Conocybe intrusa 3
Conocybe intrusa 001a.JPG
Conocybe intrusa 1
Conocybe intrusa 004a.JPG
Conocybe intrusa 2
Last edited by roy betts on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:50 am

Sorry, Roy. I had to restore from a backup so your images will need to be uploaded again.
Adam Pollard
Site admin

roy betts
Frequent user

Post by roy betts » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:41 am

Adam,
I have gone into 'edit post' and loaded the 3 Conocybe images again. For info:I had issues the first time and had to load each image separately. I had to do the same for the second uploading also. My screen is showing 3 images and 2 'blanks'.

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:16 am

St George's Mushrooms - Calocybe gambosa yesterday
Attachments
StGeorgesMushroom.jpg
Calocybe gambosa
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Post by Chris Johnson » Sun May 13, 2018 7:32 am

Vouauxiella lichenicola immersed in apothecia of Lecanora chlarotera
Attachments
Vouauxiella-lichenicola-01.jpg
Vouauxiella-lichenicola-03.jpg

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Sun May 13, 2018 6:50 pm

Interesting Chris
not being a lichenologist I wasn't (to my shame) aware how frequent the host is: https://species.nbnatlas.org/species/NBNSYS0000018579 . . . . I shall keep an eye out for these Vouauxiella spp. (once I've learnt to recognise the Lecanora :oops: )

Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Post by Chris Johnson » Mon May 14, 2018 7:24 am

Each taxon on an island is more finite than elsewhere so encourages a wider perspective. Our small recording group look at a range of taxa and feed off one another. The plus side is a better understanding of the environment ... but one will never develop a vast knowledge within an individual taxon such as yourself.

Regards, Chris

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Post by Chris Johnson » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:52 am

Sphaerellothecium minutum.

Smith, et alThe Lichens of Great Britain and Ireland note: 'The most common lichenicolous fungus on S. fragilis is the small ‘pyromycete’ Sphaerellothecium minutum Hafellner ..."
I'm grateful to Paul Cannon who advised it was what I have, told me what to look for, and provided literature. He will be credited with the identification. A sample has gone to Kew. Apparently the third British record.
Attachments
Sphaerellothecium-minutum-11.jpg
Sphaerellothecium-minutum-12.jpg