Bonnet sp. on anthill

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Lee Dingain
Regular user

Bonnet sp. on anthill

Post by Lee Dingain » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:15 am

These these tiny bonnets are quite distinctive with an almost twig-like stem. Not sure what they are though?
Attachments
20171119_145927-ed.jpg
20171119_150019-ed.jpg

adampembs
Frequent user

Re: Bonnet sp. on anthill

Post by adampembs » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:18 pm

Check Crinipellis scabella - the hairy or scaly cap is quite distinctive. Was it growing on soil or on the twigs?
http://www.mycokey.org/result.shtml?gen ... ndom=23369
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Lee Dingain
Regular user

Post by Lee Dingain » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:22 pm

Hi Adam, Many thanks indeed, this is great. They were growing on twigs.

Lee Dingain
Regular user

Post by Lee Dingain » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:40 pm

Hi Adam, I see that Crinipellis corticalis is very similar. Do you know of any distinguishing features between the two? I think spore shape is one and apparently Crinipellis corticalis is more hairy.

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:54 pm

I don't have details for that species. There is only one UK record for it, compared to 339 for C.scabella and so is not considered to be a UK species. According to Wikipedia, there are about 65 Crinipellis species worldwide. You could dry a couple of fruit-bodies in case someone would be prepared to check it. I might be wrong and someone will suggest something else entirely.
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Lee Dingain
Regular user

Post by Lee Dingain » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:24 pm

Thats a good idea. I hoping to return to the site this weekend and hopefully some will still be fruiting. Thank you very much for your help.