Fungus Of The Day (One identified fungus only please, with species name in attachment comment and in post)

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Re: Fungus Of The Day (One identified fungus only please, with species name in attachment comment and in post)

Post by Chris Johnson » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:52 am

Metacapnodium juniperi
Attachments
Metacapnodium-juniperi-07.jpg
Metacapnodium-juniperi-08.jpg

adampembs
Frequent user

Re: Fungus Of The Day (One identified fungus only please, with species name in attachment comment and in post)

Post by adampembs » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:14 am

No crystals so Conocybe pubescens (first Conocybe I've keyed!)
Attachments
DSCF4161-001.JPG
Conocybe pubescens
Adam Pollard
Site admin

roy betts
Frequent user

Post by roy betts » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:04 am

Talking of Conocybes Adam, here's one I photographed yesterday; following generally accepted current terminology, it's a Pholiotina of course.
It's growing in compost in an old plant tray. I had spotted it a few days before and assumed it was either C. rugosa or arrhenii both of which I had recorded before at home growing in similar situations (and both are quite common). The only odd thing I noticed was the very dark brown stipe below the ring.
Under the microscope (a dry mount, looking down on the face of a gill at low power) the problem was instantly solved: it had 2-spored basidia which means it can only be one species Conocybe (Pholiotina) teneroides. One I have only seen a couple of times previously. To make absolutely sure I also checked the spore size and shape of the cheilocystidia.
The British Checklist still follows BFF Vol.3 (1982) and splits this species into two: Conocybe blattaria and percincta. More modern treatments, FAN6(2005) and FE14 (2009) conclude there is just one species.
Attachments
2017 Novrmber - Pholiotina 002a.JPG
Pholiotina teneroides
2017 Novrmber - Pholiotina 004a.JPG
Pholiotina teneroides

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:55 pm

They are in beautiful condition! Photos not bad either ! :)
Adam Pollard
Site admin

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:28 am

Coprinellus domesticus - Firerug inkcap - nicely showing how it gets it's English name!
Attachments
DSCF4227.JPG
Coprinellus domesticus - Firerug inkcap
Adam Pollard
Site admin

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:32 pm

Hypocreopsis rhododendri on Prunus spinosa
Attachments
P1040424.JPG
Hypocreopsis rhododendri on Prunus spinosa
Adam Pollard
Site admin

roniaran
Regular user

Post by roniaran » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:20 pm

Armillaria mellea from İstanbul...
Attachments
Armillaria mellea -fatih or (1).jpg

marksteer
Frequent user

Post by marksteer » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:14 pm

Hopefully I am posting in the correct place and photo will attach :) Typhula fistulosa (syn. Macrotyphula fistulosa var. fistulosa) Pipe Club past it's best. Same location as November 2016 when it was looking much better. About 14cm tall, in damp scrub woodland with mainly Salix and Malus around
Attachments
2017-12-27 12.07.56.jpg
'The more I know the more I realise I don't know'

marksteer
Frequent user

Post by marksteer » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:23 pm

Scarlet Elfcup Sarcoscypha austriaca first sign of them in this location (Brynna Woods NR) this season. On probably Salix in very damp area. Microscope work on specimens from here in recent years all proved to be this species. Only confirmed record in VC41 as far as I know in recent years for Ruby S. coccinea is Coed y Bwl NR. Anyone finding this latter species?
Attachments
2017-12-27 11.47.40.jpg
'The more I know the more I realise I don't know'

Heucherella
User

Post by Heucherella » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:12 pm

Sarcoscypha austriaca , the Scarlet Elf Cup. Only a photo from my phone as was just out walking with friends.
Attachments
DSC_6393.JPG
Sarcoscypha austriaca
New at this, so full of questions!