Moss Fungus ...

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Wood Wanderer
Frequent user

Moss Fungus ...

Post by Wood Wanderer » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:59 pm

When I first saw this I immediately thought Rickenella fibula, but on closer inspection it just does not seem to fit, the gills show little sign of being decurrent and are very distant. Have looked at Lichenomphalia but that seems wrong as well.

This was growing on or in close association with moss, small cap at around 4mm.

Unable to obtain a spore print so no help there, can anyone suggest a genus ?

Many thanks

John
Attachments
DSC_0011-001.JPG
DSC_0013-001.JPG
DSC_0016-001.JPG
Last edited by Wood Wanderer on Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

adampembs
Frequent user

Re: Moss Fungus ...

Post by adampembs » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:02 pm

Wood Wanderer wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:59 pm

DSC_0011-001.JPG
DSC_0013-001.JPG
DSC_0014.JPG
DSC_0016-001.JPG

EDIT please ignore the Mollisia that I seem unable to remove ....
Can't help with ID, but do you realise you don't have to click on the "place inline" button (circled in image attached) which has NO bearing on whether the images are displayed. It only causes them to be displayed in a long scrolling list that has the advantage of allowing you to put comments between each photo, which you haven't done anyway, so serves no purpose. If you want to delete the Mollisia image, you need to delete the attachment in the attachments box below. (also circled in the image attached) - if you avoid using the "place inline" button, your images will be displayed in a grid which avoids the need for scrolling. So, if you edit your post, and down down to attachments and delete the attachment DSC_0014.JPG, the Mollisia will disappear. If you then delete the inline attachment bbcodes, eg "[ attachment=0]del.jpg[/attachment ]" - you'll get a nice grid.

Cheers

Adam
Attachments
del.jpg
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:58 am

This is indeed a strange one . . . without the gill attachment conundrum this would point to Rickenella fibula - look at the caulocystidia on the upper part of the stipes . . .
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Wood Wanderer
Frequent user

Post by Wood Wanderer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:10 pm

Can't help with ID, but do you realise you don't have to click on the "place inline" button (circled in image attached) which has NO bearing on whether the images are displayed. It only causes them to be displayed in a long scrolling list that has the advantage of allowing you to put comments between each photo, which you haven't done anyway, so serves no purpose. If you want to delete the Mollisia image, you need to delete the attachment in the attachments box below. (also circled in the image attached) - if you avoid using the "place inline" button, your images will be displayed in a grid which avoids the need for scrolling. So, if you edit your post, and down down to attachments and delete the attachment DSC_0014.JPG, the Mollisia will disappear. If you then delete the inline attachment bbcodes, eg "[ attachment=0]del.jpg[/attachment ]" - you'll get a nice grid.

Cheers

Adam
[/quote]

Thanks Adam, have now removed the errant Mollisia and yes I did not realise there was a better way to display images in grid format.

As you say it does look a lot neater

Regards

John

Wood Wanderer
Frequent user

Post by Wood Wanderer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:46 pm

Chris Yeates wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:58 am
This is indeed a strange one . . . without the gill attachment conundrum this would point to Rickenella fibula - look at the caulocystidia on the upper part of the stipes . . .

Thanks Chris

So I was not confused without reason, presumably the "incorrect" gill attachment is just an anomaly and my first instinct was right. Getting to an ID is hard enough without key macro features going AWOL .... :?

Cheers

John

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:06 pm

The more I look at this the less convinced am I about this being R. fibula. Gill attachment is wrong and the gills are too few in number. Perhaps a Galerina?
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Post by Chris Johnson » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:05 am

The only Galerina I can think of with such distant gills is Galerina calyptrata. It has a fleshy umbo and obvious caulocystidia. I doubt you will get any further without microscopy though.
http://outerhebridesfungi.co.uk/species.php?id=75

Regards, Chris

Wood Wanderer
Frequent user

Post by Wood Wanderer » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:34 pm

[quote="Chris Johnson" post_id=9214 time=1512641152 user_id=153]
The only Galerina I can think of with such distant gills is Galerina calyptrata. It has a fleshy umbo and obvious caulocystidia. I doubt you will get any further without microscopy though.
http://outerhebridesfungi.co.uk/species.php?id=75

Regards, Chris
[/quote]

Thanks for your thoughts Chris, it does have a number of the same macro features as my specimen, not one I have ever heard of but as you say no way of being in the least bit certain.

One I will look out for in future.

Regards

John