Fungus Of The Day (One identified fungus only please, with species name in attachment comment and in post)

mollisia
Frequent user

Re: Fungus Of The Day (One identified fungus only please, with species name in attachment comment and in post)

Post by mollisia » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:42 am

Hello,

found three days ago before the temperatures went down:
Lamprospora miniata s.l., most likely the var. ratisbonensis

growing at the border of a field road, every year in winter since 2015

best regards,
Andreas
Attachments
Lamprospora-miniata-ratisbonensis_2016-12-30_04.jpg
Lamprospora-miniata-ratisbonensis_2016-12-30_01a.jpg

alindsay
Regular user

Re: Fungus Of The Day (One identified fungus only please, with species name in attachment comment and in post)

Post by alindsay » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:15 pm

Hi Andreas

Is this quite rare is Germany (and elsewhere) if the information on this website can be believed?

http://www.octospora.de/Lminiataratisbonensis.htm

Accordingly, I think we would not see it in the U.K. A beautiful little thing nonetheless.

Thanks for sharing. A

mollisia
Frequent user

Post by mollisia » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:34 pm

Hello,

I'm not so sure wether I can tell that apart from var. miniata - it was Jan (the owner of the cited website) that determined it as such, but also with an "?".
And Lamprospora miniata is one of the more common species, also in the UK I suppose.
But those bryophil ascos are in many areas or even countries very underrecorded, so why should it be rare in Britain?

Have a look at old walls (non-calcareous stones!) of cemetries or castles or when calcareous soil then in mosses on the ground - or in dunes, or pionier vegetation of quarries etc. .... In the case of L. miniata it was just a field-road on calcareous soil like thousand other in the region ...

It's great fun to find those tiny gems, have some tries and don't be frustrated if you don't succeed in the beginning. But for determination you ALWAYS need a microscope ....

best regards,
Andreas

RuberCalitium
User

Ganoderna lucidum

Post by RuberCalitium » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:52 am

Ganoderna lucidum - lacquered bracket. Westonbirt Arboretum, 14 January 2017. Unfortunately not a great photo but an interesting find.
Attachments
Ganoderma lucidum - Lacquered Bracket 2.jpg

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:39 pm

RuberCalitium wrote:Ganoderna lucidum - lacquered bracket. Westonbirt Arboretum, 14 January 2017. Unfortunately not a great photo but an interesting find.
Hi,
Nice find.

For future reference, please do not change the text in the "Subject" header box, (above the main text reply box), as doing so retitles the thread with whatever you put there from that point onwards - and obviously, this thread is not entitled Ganoderma lucidum! ;)

The "Subject" text should always be left as: -
Fungus Of The Day (One identified fungus only please, with species name in attachment comment and in post)
which is the definitive title for the thread. (I have now changed it back to that).

Your species name (or title for your specific find), along with any other text required, should be included within the main text box with your photograph.

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

Flaxton
Frequent user

Post by Flaxton » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:31 am

After a successful search for Sarcoscypha I took home a few stalks of unknown origin left over from the clearing out of a ditch on a local bog Nature Reserve. Amongst the one or two species I found on these stalks was a much less photogenic but much more interesting small hairy asco which turned out (with the help of Ascofrance) to be a Hilberina, a family I have never come across(or heard of) before. With a key provided by one of the members it came out as H punctata. One of the characteristics of the group is the septate, bent and sharply pointed spore (one end only). My specimen was bent but rounded at both ends and although the size was a bit out it was confirmed by the author of the paper to be Hilberina punctata a first to the UK. It will be sent of to Kew for their appraisal.
Mal
P2031554a.jpg
IS_98 (4).jpg
IS_108_bak.jpg

marksteer
Frequent user

Post by marksteer » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:54 pm

Hi Mal, which species Sarcoscypha did you find? The vast majority checked microscopically in Glamorgan VC41 are S.austriaca with very few S.coccinea. Mark
'The more I know the more I realise I don't know'

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:47 pm

Flaxton wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:31 am
After a successful search for Sarcoscypha I took home a few stalks of unknown origin left over from the clearing out of a ditch on a local bog Nature Reserve. Amongst the one or two species I found on these stalks was a much less photogenic but much more interesting small hairy asco which turned out (with the help of Ascofrance) to be a Hilberina, a family I have never come across(or heard of) before. With a key provided by one of the members it came out as H punctata. One of the characteristics of the group is the septate, bent and sharply pointed spore (one end only). My specimen was bent but rounded at both ends and although the size was a bit out it was confirmed by the author of the paper to be Hilberina punctata a first to the UK. It will be sent of to Kew for their appraisal.
Mal

P2031554a.jpg
IS_98 (4).jpgIS_108_bak.jpg
Congratulations, Mal! :D
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Flaxton
Frequent user

Post by Flaxton » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:15 pm

marksteer wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:54 pm
Hi Mal, which species Sarcoscypha did you find? The vast majority checked microscopically in Glamorgan VC41 are S.austriaca with very few S.coccinea. Mark
I think there have only been a couple of finds of S coccinea in Yorkshire in the last 20 years and I am not sure if they id'd with the newest of literature. I have found it at half a dozen sites never managed S coccinea.
adampembs wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:47 pm
Congratulations, Mal! :D
Thanks Adam
Mal

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:22 pm

Flaxton wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:31 am
. . . . a few stalks of unknown origin left over from the clearing out of a ditch on a local bog Nature Reserve. . . . a first to the UK. It will be sent of to Kew for their appraisal.
Mal
Excellent Mal - how many of these discoveries will ever come to light? With so few people looking :( . This species can't be too fussy about what it grows on. Munk's original find was "On a rotting branch of Fagus " . . .

I've just knocked one taxon off the Yorkshire list (Dothiorella candollei (Berk. & Broome) Petr. is now recognised as an anamorph of Hyponectria buxi - already on the list) so this keeps the numbers up - 5310 taxa (excluding lichens).
Cheers
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"