Literature & resources for rusts and smuts

Plant diseases
Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: Literature & resources for rusts and smuts

Post by Lancashire Lad » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:24 pm

marksteer wrote:Dutch Rusts book A.J.Terorshuizen and C.A. Swertz's Roesten van Nederland 2011 re-print is now potentially available . . .
For anyone who has this book, the information available here might be of some use: -
https://sites.google.com/site/dutchrustfungi/home

NB: As mentioned in the text, viewing the documents directly does not show them very well. They are far better downloaded, saved, and opened in Word or Excel respectively.
The three dark blue arrows at the right hand side of the page are the download links for the articles in question. ;)

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

marksteer
Frequent user

Post by marksteer » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:41 pm

Hi Mike,
Thanks for that. I will wait for my copy (ordered!) -
maybe getting out of my depth with Rusts but Nigel is giving me excellent backup!

One Rust on Kew's 'Lost and Found List' is Chrysomayxa pyrolata on Pyrola spp. mainly P.rotundifolia ssp. maritima. It has recently been re-found on dunes near Southport. I've been looking on sand dunes in Glamorgan VC41 but no success so far. Only record at the moment in Wales is on dunes on Anglesey. However P.rotifundulia ssp. maritima is also found inland in VC41 on old colliery spoil heaps so if you have suitable locations with Pyrola maybe worth looking for?

Mark
'The more I know the more I realise I don't know'

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:52 pm

marksteer wrote: . . . One Rust on Kew's 'Lost and Found List' is Chrysomayxa pyrolata on Pyrola spp. mainly P.rotundifolia ssp. maritima. It has recently been re-found on dunes near Southport. . . .
Hi Mark,
Not wishing to take this thread away from Rusts Literature, but yes, the Chrysomyxa pyrolata (great find!), was found by MykoGolfer - one of the NWFG members, (who has recently registered as a member, here with UK Fungi).
See the first item at top of page here: - http://fungus.org.uk/nwfg/newslinks.htm
Maybe if Tony sees this, he might start a topic and post some more photos etc. here on the rusts and smuts board? ;)

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

marksteer
Frequent user

Post by marksteer » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:37 pm

Well done MycoGolfer!!! 10 stars from me and hopefully from Kew!! I have 3 sites locally to me with Pyrola rotundifolia ssp. maritima but yet to find the Rust but your find will keep me going - it's not a lost cause!
Mark

rustbucket
Regular user

Post by rustbucket » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:29 am

Hi Mark/Mike,
Yes - well done to MykoGolfer. Should we all take up golf in an attempt to be successful in finding this elusive rust. Mark - I've been to all the opencast sites here and looked at the Pyrola but no luck even though there are carpets of the stuff indicating that the plants weren't infected when they were brought in.
I'm sure the rust is at Oxwich or Whitford dunes near you as these have classic slacks within the complex.
Nigel

marksteer
Frequent user

Post by marksteer » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:33 am

Hi Nigel,

I spent 5.5 hours out on Whiteford dunes with Martyn et al - plenty of Pyrola but no Rust!
That was my introduction to searching for the Rust and it hasn't put me off!!

Mark

Andy Simpson
New user

Post by Andy Simpson » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:47 pm

As previously mentioned, 'Dutch Rust Fungi', is currently being reprinted. I have received an Email from the author, who is happy to take orders, enquiries. Contact details: Aad Termorshuizen at (prjb0001@planet.nl). Expected cost to be around 30 Euros and 5 Euros postage,packaging.
Andy

marksteer
Frequent user

Post by marksteer » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:37 pm

I have ordered re-print via Summerfield books (http://www.summerfieldbooks.com/). Cost around £30 (dependent on £/Euro) plus p&P
Mark