I think it's a rust..on Wild Angelica?

Plant diseases
adampembs
Frequent user

I think it's a rust..on Wild Angelica?

Post by adampembs » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:39 pm

It has a stem like celery and is perhaps Angelica sylvestris. What appear to be spores are mixed in with what appear to be the plant cells. Strange looking thing.
Attachments
P1010237.JPG
P1010239.JPG
P1100584.JPG
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Re: I think it's a rust..on Wild Angelica?

Post by Chris Yeates » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:21 pm

Hi Adam
although everything else except the plant in question is in focus I'm pretty sure that plant is Fool's Water-cress (I'm not saying anything :lol: :lol: ;) ) Apium nodiflorum (note the developing flowers in the leaf axils, not terminal as they would be Angelica). One is allowed to take a leaf or two home to photograph there, where it might be easier - perhaps you did? It would also be useful to know the diameter of those spores/chlamydospores. If I'm right about the host I strongly suspect this to be Buerenia inundata - actually an ascomycete (Taphrinales / Protomycetaceae) but a far from typical one a "strange looking thing" is a justifiable description. A few more pics / bit more info would probably clinch it (the blisters on the leaves, if there are some, should be tinged reddish brown) . . . .
cheers
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:09 am

Yeah, a terrible photo, Im afraid. :oops:

There were indeed some blisters on the leaves. I couldn't see anything interesting under the scope but here are the macro shots.
The spores size range is 52-72 x 48-67µm. I hope that helps.
Attachments
P1010240.JPG
P1100585.JPG
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:51 pm

HI Adam
yes that looks right for Buerenia - see:http://www.ascofrance.com/search_recolte/3938 (click on thumbnail). Those 'spores' are actually asci, containing numerous tiny globose spores.
Not (for a change) new to Pembrokeshire: I see there are three records made by the sadly-departed Kenneth Payne, with whom I travelled down from Yorkshire on that 1987 BMS Spring Foray - http://www.fieldmycology.net/FRDBI/FRDB ... a+inundata
cheers
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:45 am

Thanks Chris. Must have been an epic foray, you must have recorded 1000s of species. Still good to get another record every 40 years or so :D
Adam Pollard
Site admin