Phragmidium tuberculatum not mucronatum?

Plant diseases
JennyS
Regular user

Phragmidium tuberculatum not mucronatum?

Post by JennyS » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:52 pm

Having recorded Phragmidium mucronatum on Rosa canina agg I've been searching all the Rosa rugosa I've come across in the hope of finding Phragmidium tuberculatum and getting a better concept of the difference between the two.......... :?

The micrographs are from R. rugosa and a high proportion of spores had 7 (occasionally 8) cells.
w Phragmidium 171017 208b R rugosa.jpg
w Phragmidium 171017-1 rugosa.jpg
w Phragmidium 171017-6b rugosa.jpg
w Phragmidium 171017-4 rugosa.jpg
If these are tuberculatum I'm wondering if my identification of P mucronatum (link below) was wrong as there wasn't any noticeable difference in the apiculus length and some (but far less) spores did have 7 cells?
http://www.dorsetnature.co.uk/pages-gall/g-126.html

Hoping for a reply as I'm confused again!
Jenny

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Re: Phragmidium tuberculatum not mucronatum?

Post by Chris Yeates » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:20 pm

Hi Jenny
only just noticed this; yes this has always been one of my areas of confusion. As you mention apiculus length I assume you are aware of https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... _in_Europe?

and don't get me going on the "differences" between Tranzschelia spp. on Prunus . . . . :roll:
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

JennyS
Regular user

Re: Phragmidium tuberculatum not mucronatum?

Post by JennyS » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:53 pm

Many thanks for the reply Chris and sorry for my delay but I didn't get a reply notification.

I was using Bladmineerders but your link gives more information and apiculus length range for both - though I'm now wondering if both my specimens might have been P. tuberculatum! Jury undecided, will have to collect, examine and measure more specimens.

As you mentioned Prunus Tranzschelia spp. there's another post coming shortly with what appear to be (she says somewhat tentatively) Tranzschelia pruni-spinosae and T. discolor...........
Jenny