Wild Parsnip rust

Plant diseases
Jill Cunningham
New user

Wild Parsnip rust

Post by Jill Cunningham » Mon May 22, 2017 9:41 am

I found this rust on Wild Parsnip - pastinaca sativa - at the Nosterfield Reserve, N.Yks.(I meant to collect a sample and in a downpour I forgot). Nothing is given in Ellis and Ellis and I have gone in circles on Google. Can anyone help to ID this?
Attachments
DSC01049 - Copy.JPG
Wild Parsnip rust?
DSC01053 - Copy.JPG
Wild Parsnip rust?

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: Wild Parsnip rust

Post by Lancashire Lad » Tue May 23, 2017 1:11 pm

Hi, and welcome to UK Fungi.

This could be interesting!

It's unfortunate that your second photo is slightly out of focus, as I can't tell with any certainty that what I'm seeing is actually a rust, rather than the results of some insect activity. However, it does seem to show what may be "cupulate / cluster-cup" shaped aecia.

On the assumption that it is indeed a rust, it is very unfortunate that you didn't collect samples. Since, as far as I can see, there are no British records on the FRDBI, specifically in respect of rusts associated with Pastinaca sativa.

According to what I've read, P.sativa is affected by various smuts, mildews, and chitrids, - but none of them particularly resemble what is shown in your photos.

However, there are records (within Europe and elsewhere, but not Britain), of the rust Uromyces lineolatus having association with P.sativa.

Apparently it is stages 0, and 1, of U.lineolatus which have that particular association, and stage 1 does produce cupulate aecia on the host.
See: - http://www.bladmineerders.nl/gallen/fun ... olatus.htm

An internet search brings up several websites where records of the association are confirmed,
(for example: -https://www.idigbio.org/portal/records/ ... 02ba061246 ),
but I haven't been able to find any comparable "macro" photos specifically showing E.lineolatus aecia on P.sativa.

Hopefully Chris will see this thread, and will hopefully be able to provide some more constructive input!

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Re: Wild Parsnip rust

Post by Chris Yeates » Thu May 25, 2017 8:53 pm

Hi

Definitely a rust, but I suspect that this is not Pastinaca sativa, but is actually early growth of Pimpinella major. I've checked the BSBI maps and the latter is shown as having been recorded in the Nosterfield area, whereas the former is not. I was initially confused by the hairs apparent on the underside of the leaves, but they can be present in the Pimpinella.

That would make this Puccinia pimpinellae: compare with http://jule.pflanzenbestimmung.de/wordp ... ruse-1.jpg But a 100% certain identification of the host would be good, particularly by a visit when fruits have been formed, or if later stages appear on the same host . . .

Chris

Edit I've put together the relevant map - Nosterfield is (just) to the N of the top left dot:
Pucpim01.jpg
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"