Rust on Mugwort

Plant diseases
alindsay
Regular user

Rust on Mugwort

Post by alindsay » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:43 pm

I think I saw something on this website, or I wouldn't have been looking, but I was and found it on the old drovers road, Icknield Way in Bedfordshire.

Need help with the ID though as the info on the Internet is sparse.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Re: Rust on Mugwort

Post by Chris Yeates » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:07 pm

Hi
I take on board what Paul Cannon said about checking things microscopically, but for me it's Puccinia tanaceti . . . I see there is a Bedfordahire record of this rust - made by my Yorkshire mate (now doing great mycological work in NZ) Jerry Cooper: http://www.fieldmycology.net/FRDBI/FRDB ... a+tanaceti. I suspect this species is much overlooked (like so many of these plant parasites. It doesn't appear in the 1985 "A Fungus Flora of Yorkshire" but here is the current distribution map (most records are mine):
Ptan.jpg
I have recorded it on tansy Tanacetum vulgare, sea wormwood Seriphidium maritimum =(Artemisia maritima), mugwort Artemisia vulgaris, wormwood Artemisia absinthium, and also on southernwood Artemisia abrotanum in planted shrubberies in Meltham (SW Yorkshire) and at Scarborough on the coast - the latter seem to be the only British records on that host - so keep an eye out . . .
best
Chris

PS - I see that Jerry C's record was near to a place called Souldrop - I remember in the late 60s hitch-hiking round England with a friend and we ended up here one night . . . . it was like going back many decades, the pub was wonderfully basic in those days, the locals friendly but strange and a bit scary to a couple of callow teenagers from "Up North", and we played a strange sort of skittles where one threw a wooden "cheese" as it was called side-armed at the skittles . . . I see from their website that the central fireplace has remained, but the game has been replaced by boules!!! Oh well autres temps, autres mœurs I suppose . . .
Last edited by Chris Yeates on Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

alindsay
Regular user

Re: Rust on Mugwort

Post by alindsay » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:39 am

Thanks for the information on the Puccinia tanaceti. I will let the county recorder know.

Nice bit of nostalgia too. I hadn't even noticed that there was a village called Souldrop in Beds. If l am passing at the right time, I shall drop in for a 1/2 pint at the pub to see what the atmosphere is like today. Maybe also check out the Mugwort.

Alison