Re: Myxomycete of the Day

Post by Waxcap » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:21 pm

That's an outstanding image!

Dave

Pitufo
Frequent user

Post by Pitufo » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:03 pm

Thank you very much Dave, very kind :D I was very surprised the beetle remained still for the 15-20 photos I needed to stack it - although you can see blurring of the antennae.

I went back and dug out another couple of photos from earlier in the Physarum shoot to see how the colours compared. When I collected it at about 2pm it was almost colourless to pale yellow with a hand lens. By the time I got it onto a stereo it was translucent yellow heading towards orange (3pm). The earliest photos show the yellow/orange colour. The photo with the orange/pinkish tinge was taken after these (about 4pm) - it had turned grey within an hour or so (with a touch of the a blueish irridescence you mentioned).

I think there are artefacts of stacking which often give indistict halos around the subject, adding to the "glowing" effect. They almost appear bioluminescent. Full sequence shown in order below. In the first photo, the sporangium at the bottom right still has the yellow coloration.
2016-06-30-15.54.28 ZS PMaxflash1000.jpg
2016-06-30-16.36.26 ZS PMaxFlash1000.jpg
Physarum_leucophaeum_1_1000.jpg
Physarum_leucophaeum_2_1000.jpg

Waxcap
Frequent user

Post by Waxcap » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:47 pm

I imagined you would have to have do some fast stacking!

My pics of P. leucophaeum are here http://www.newforest.com/page_2.asp?epi ... eucophaeum

You can see that in the first two photos the lime on the surface has a blue cast and it should be white - the whole image is too blue. I was using flash and there are some navy blue curtains about half a meter away so maybe that's what caused the blue cast. In the third higher magnification image the lime is almost white (as it should be) so I think that it's a much more accurate representation of the colour of my sample.

Dave

Pitufo
Frequent user

Post by Pitufo » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:32 am

Beautiful photos Dave. You've captured the iridescence nicely. The example of leucophaeum shown in Poulain also has a distinctly blue cast to it, so it may not be that far off.

You have some other great photos on there too. I have some technical questions for you but probably better to split them to another thread.

Waxcap
Frequent user

Post by Waxcap » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:32 pm

You could put your questions in the "Microscopes, Cameras, Equipment, Technology" area and I'll do my best.

Dave

Pitufo
Frequent user

Post by Pitufo » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:10 pm

Thanks Dave, will do. Found lots of these at the weekend. Arcyria denudata.
2016-07-04-21.30.58 ZS PMax1000.jpg

Pitufo
Frequent user

Post by Pitufo » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:36 am

Trichia decipiens var olivacea - found on Monday and maturing nicely..the second photo was taken yesterday (Wednesday).
2016-07-05-14.00.48 ZS PMax1000.jpg
2016-07-06-12.50.51 ZS PMax1000.jpg
Edit: next one in the sequence added (Thursday). They matured very quickly and starting flinging spores everywhere.
2016-07-07-19.46.58 ZS PMax1000.jpg
Last edited by Pitufo on Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:19 pm

Pitufo wrote:Trichia decipiens var olivacea - found on Monday and maturing nicely..the second photo was taken yesterday (Wednesday).
There are some conidiophores of a dematiaceous hyphomycete (the tiny black "bristles") in this image - they could well be identifiable I suspect, if you wanted to post some images of the conidia, I'd have a go . . . .
cheers
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Pitufo
Frequent user

Post by Pitufo » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:14 pm

Hi Chris

I've often wondered what the bristles were.. wood samples are often covered with them. I thought they may be remnants of smaller corticolous myxos.

If I can get something resembling spores from them, I will post them.

Cheers,

John

Waxcap
Frequent user

Post by Waxcap » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:26 pm

Pitufo wrote:Trichia decipiens var olivacea - found on Monday and maturing nicely..the second photo was taken yesterday (Wednesday).
Hi,

I was fortunate to get hold of a supplement published by Bruce Ing, to his great book " The Myxomycetes of Britain and Ireland". In it he now calls this Trichia meylanii (Ing , nom. et sp. nov.) as there is strong evidence that it is a distinct species.
The name Trichia olivacea had already been used by Persoon and Whithering for another species so T. meylanii was chosen to commemorate Charles Meylan, a myxomycologist of the early 20th Century.

The FRDBI is up-to-date and has T. meylanii as the current name. For anyone interested, the identifying features are the circumscissile dehiscence (nicely shown in these photos) as opposed to the irregular "tear" in T. decipiens. Under oil immersion T. meylanii has minutely warted spores wheras T. decipiens has faintly reticulate spores.

Dave