Unknown

Not technically fungi, but often lumped together with fungi
Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Unknown

Post by Chris Johnson » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:41 pm

I couldn't resist photographing this even though I know little about them. If someone could provide a name or genus, that will be a bonus.
Attachments
r9_1.jpg

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: Unknown

Post by Lancashire Lad » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:23 pm

Hi Chris,

It could be something like Stemonitopsis typhina.

The photo is a bit small, but I think I can see the thin black columella within some of the sporocarps. (In S.typhina that should reach the apex).

They start of white like this and then go through shades of pink, ending up dark grey-brown.

If it is S.typhina, and it is somewhere where you can keep an eye on it, on each sporocarp, you should be able to see the silvery "sheath" that covers the stalk. - In Bruce Ing's book, this is described as "looking like silk stockings".

EDIT - Hold the bus!
I now think I can see a couple of divided tips, so I'm back to thinking it could be Ceratiomyxa fruticulosa (my first thought on seeing the photo).

Only thing is that in my experience, C.fruticulosa generally grows in a more "matted" fashion, rather than in distinct little tufts such as these.

I usually see it looking something like this: -
Ceratiomyxa fruticulosa 02a 190511.jpg
Ceratiomyxa fruticulosa
(and C.fruticulosa doesn't have black columella's).

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Re: Unknown

Post by Chris Johnson » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:27 pm

Hi Mike

I've had a closer look at the prime image and there are many with bifurcated tips, so Ceratiomyxa fruticulosa fits very well. There was a larger area of it alongside one of the tracks.

It is not an area I get to very often and, with other interests, I have decided not to pursue myxos. Hence, when I can't resist taking a photo, there is a plea for help. ;)

Many thanks and regards,

Chris