Immature myxomycete for ID

Not technically fungi, but often lumped together with fungi
jimmymac2
Frequent user

Immature myxomycete for ID

Post by jimmymac2 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:20 pm

Hello everyone

Today on a West Weald Fungus Recording Group meeting I found this immature slime mould on a piece of rotten wood (probably Beech). As it's an immature I didn't collect any. Is it possible to ID as it's not mature?

Thanks,
James
Attachments
RSCN9654r.jpg
Always keep your eyes open... :shock:

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: Immature myxomycete for ID

Post by Lancashire Lad » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:06 pm

Hi James,

It could be something like Trichia decipiens, which does have a similar looking stage on its route to maturity.

However, as with most myxo's, there are other possibilities, so pretty much just guesswork without doing microscopy on mature specimens.

By the way, if you find more examples at a similar stage, you can generally get them to mature if you take them home.
Just carefully remove a suitable section of the substrate containing the myxo fruitbodies, and pack it in a small container so that it can't rattle around.
I sometimes use pins, and pin the sample to a piece of cork or polystyrene that's been cut to fit tight into the container.
If I don't have the correct container with me, I'll generally try to pack the sample/substrate with moss. - Not perfect, but it usually works well enough.

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

jimmymac2
Frequent user

Re: Immature myxomycete for ID

Post by jimmymac2 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:55 pm

Thanks Mike,

I'll try to mature any immature slime moulds I find in the future. Very interesting organisms.

James
Always keep your eyes open... :shock: