Physarium globuliferum ?

Not technically fungi, but often lumped together with fungi
MaxRum
Regular user

Physarium globuliferum ?

Post by MaxRum » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:41 pm

Hi, I am determining a Physarium growing on carob leaves and fruit. The sporocarps have a lime-covered white stipe with a distinct constriction at the apex, sporocarp 0.5 x 0.7mm, subglobular or more often compressed longitudinally, peridium with amorphous lime scales, spore mass chocolate brown, columella absent (?), capillitium reticulate and anastomosing with few rounded-elongate lime nodes, spores subglobular to globular, medium brown under light microscope, 8.3-10um (mean 9.2um) spinulose, arranged mostly uniformly (no aggregations).

I have shortlisted Physarium compressum but this has much unregular or reniform sporocarps and P. globuliferum which I think is the species in question. I only have one mismatching character, the absence of a columella which seems to be present but short and stout for this species.

The website below makes reference to the constriction of the apical part of the stipe which was obvious in my specimen.
https://www.disjunctnaturalists.com/sli ... g/log3.htm

Would love a confirmation or other suggestions.
Attachments
IMG_5963s.jpg
IMG_5961s.jpg
IMG_5951s.jpg
IMG_5949s.jpg
IMG_5907s.jpg
IMG_5881s.jpg

MaxRum
Regular user

Re: Physarium globuliferum ?

Post by MaxRum » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:42 pm

more images
Attachments
IMG_5872s.jpg
IMG_0913s.jpg
IMG_5874s.jpg

Pitufo
Frequent user

Post by Pitufo » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:32 pm

Hi MaxRum

I don't know this species well, but Sarah Lloyd (who wrote the post you reference above) and I are setting up a global forum for myxos at http://www.myxo.info/BB/index.php (Adam - I hope you don't mind me posting this here). The forum is still in the beta testing stage.

If you post your photos/data there also, Sarah will have a look at it in the next few days. Either you or I can then share the result here.

Kind regards,

John

MaxRum
Regular user

Post by MaxRum » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:33 am

sound good for me :-)

MaxRum
Regular user

Post by MaxRum » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:56 pm

Just a little observation that there is no forum topic for undetermined slime moulds.... I will put my entry in the photo and descriptions

Best regards
Stephen

MaxRum
Regular user

Post by MaxRum » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:46 am

Hi, for the benefit of visitors of this forum, I wish to write that this was finally determined as Physarum leucophaeum where the closely related P. globuliferum was excluded because it should have an indistinct but yet detectable flat conical columella and a characteristic persistent capillitium. It's true that Physarum leucophaeum is described to have a non (or thin-layered) limy stipe, and seeing that my specimen had a thick layer of lime, I got deceived to group of Physarum with lime-covered stipes, but since ocassionally, this species is described to have lime-covered stipes, and considering that the specimens were collected from a limestome-rich territory (Malt)a, it is expected that the lime cover on the stipe is copious.