Lycogala epidendrum or L. confusum

Not technically fungi, but often lumped together with fungi
MaxRum
Regular user

Lycogala epidendrum or L. confusum

Post by MaxRum » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:58 pm

I was attracted to the vermilion-carmine plasmodium on wood-chips used in some animal bedding and dumped on soil under a pine grove. The epithelium was dull brown, rather smooth or verrucose. Spore mass pink-beige then ochraceous. Pseudcapillitium quite branched and even anastamosing with transversal wrinks and inflated ends. Scales medium yellow-brown with a brownish pigment, 4-5 sided irregularangular polyhedral shape but flat and simple otherwise.

I can't decide between Lycogala epidendrum or L. confusum. Apparently the scales are the discriminant character.

On discoverlife I read: "the surface covered with sunken or superficial, irregularly shaped vesicles, filled with yellow fluid, drying into ± rounded scales, 0.05-0.3 mm diam."

The scales were more or less angular (=confusum) with the said yellow pigment (=epidendrum!)
Attachments
IMG_8067s(plasmodium).jpg
Plasmodium
IMG_8071s.jpg
Aethalia in habitus
IMG_8254s.jpg
Aethalia under microscope
IMG_8302s(sporemass).jpg
Spore mass
IMG_8072s.jpg
Aethaelia in habitus
IMG_8295s.jpg
Scales with yellow content

MaxRum
Regular user

Re: Lycogala epidendrum or L. confusum

Post by MaxRum » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:05 pm

More images.

Somewhat I am leaning towards L. confusum, the key states scales grouped in rows or forming a net for L. confusum vs Scales not grouped for epidendrum but I do not really know what is being meant by grouped!
Attachments
IMG_8278s(pseudocapillitium).jpg
Pseudocapillitium
IMG_8293s.jpg
Scales
IMG_8077s.jpg
Aetalia and Plasmodium

Pitufo
Frequent user

Post by Pitufo » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:47 pm

The scales might be easier to see mounted in water. The macro shot of your sample does not show a strong pattern like the photo I have of exiguum (which is closely grouped with confusa). Nice shot of the pseudocapillitium.

http://www.discoverlife.org/IM/I_UARK/0 ... RK1449.jpg and http://www.ambmuggia.it/forum/uploads/p ... 031528.jpg

Lycogala epidendrum, terrestre, exiguum and confusa are all pretty closely related as I'm sure you're aware.

Which book(s) are you using? Ing has a drawing of scale grouping p94 and Poulain Book 2 No 56 (exiguum).

Cheers,

John

MaxRum
Regular user

Post by MaxRum » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:47 pm

I don't have any more the material to make a water-mounted analysis. These photos were taken 3 months ago or more and I am analysing them now! I take it between the lines that this is likely more epidendrum than L. confusum right? I am using the duo book Les Myxomycetes by Poulain, Meyer and Bozonnet. Any alternative key to follow online ? I am quite sure my specimen is between confusum and epidendrum (not exiguum) and mayber it is just the commoner Lycogala epidendron! (Although the ochraceous spore massis a bit thumbs down for this species!)

MaxRum
Regular user

Post by MaxRum » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:21 am

I have found a online herbaria of L. epidendrum var. confusum with four voucher specimens and I got back a bit more confused. This may also trigger some of you to revise your epidendrum s.l. collections. The link is here:

Dutch Herbarium specimens of L. confusum

I have translated the notes in english as follows:

• Plasmodium reddish orange. Spores ą 1um wide border. Aeth. 2-6mm, beige translucent. Traces 6-7μm. Capillitium most 6-8μm, wrinkled, smooth. Scales adjacent to rows and groups.

• Spore mass pink. In almost every cell of the scales one or more oil drops. The cells also tend to be reticulate! Aeth. 3-6mm, gray. Traces ą 6-7μm. Peridium grainy. Capillitium 7.5-15 μm, wrinkled, almost smooth + very nice warts. Scales with caps, tesselate, alveolar.

• Massive beige ripe - rosy brown. And coral red + orange plasmodium still to be seen. Spores fresh: pink. Adults also present "minute tesselation", also in the cells. Spores 6.5μm. Young the cells with red core.

• Plasmodium orange vermilion. Spores fresh pale salmon rose, 6-7μm. L. epidendrum var. Confusum from which it differs in the scales not being alveolar. Scales adjacent reticulate, chopped, tess.-like, whimsical with caps, beams.

The text and the drawings are refering to the fact that the sacels are in groups and now I am thinking that the scales of my specimens are also in groups like the drawings! I've searched what tesselated means and it says like tiles of a floor, and that is what I see! One text says: "In almost every cell of the scales one or more oil drops." and I think that the yellow mass in the scales are the oil drops. Elsewhere I read and got the impression that the ochraceous spore mass is also distinct but I have no experience.

It would be nice to see images of scales of L. epidendrum s. s. to compare with! Are they completely free?

Any thoughts about this ? Do you think it might actually be L. confusum based on the scales joined like floor-tiles?

MaxRum
Regular user

Post by MaxRum » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:30 am

Another image of the grouped scales with what looks to be oil droplets inside.
Attachments
IMG_8292s.jpg