Nectriopsis rexiana?

Not technically fungi, but often lumped together with fungi
Steve
Frequent user

Nectriopsis rexiana?

Post by Steve » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:51 pm

Hi,
We found this on a large colony of Metatrichia floriformis, previously noted a couple of months ago. Using Ellis & Ellis I get this to be Nectriopsis rexiana (Verticillium rexianum) based on the conidia size (up to 6(7) x 2.5) and what I think I can make out as the horsetail-like conidial branching. However, Ellis & Ellis can't be expected to have everything in it. Not many images of this fungus on Google images. Just one record in the Sheffield area, in 1980. So I might be fitting my evidence to my only book.......
Steve
Attachments
1 Macro stack (C).jpg
Stacked macro image
2 600.jpg
Conidiophore x600 in Congo Red
3  600 cred d.jpg
Conidiophore x600 in Congo Red
4 600.jpg
Conidia x600 in water
Last edited by Lancashire Lad on Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To correct typo in host species name

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: Nectriopsis rexiana?

Post by Lancashire Lad » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:31 pm

Hi Steve,

I'm not personally familiar with Nectriopsis rexiana (Verticillium rexianum), so I stand to be corrected, but from info to hand, I'm tempted to agree with your ID.

The conidiaphores, and your conidia measurements, seem to tie in very nicely with information/illustration in Bruce Ing's "Mouldy Myxomycetes" - PDF available to download here: -
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... Dph2WD1WtQ

There is some good information which also tallies well, in "The Myxomyceticolous Species of Nectria - Mycologia, Vol. 65, No. 2 (Mar. - Apr., 1973), pp. 401-420". - That document is mentioned in the refernces within Ing's document, and is also available to download as a PDF - from AscoFrance, here: -
http://www.ascofrance.com/uploads/forum ... a-0001.pdf

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

Steve
Frequent user

Re: Nectriopsis rexiana?

Post by Steve » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:03 pm

Many thanks Mike,
I'm finding large numbers of hyphomycetous "crusts" on all kinds of dead wood which are just too much to tackle (I still record them with brief descriptive notes), so it's nice to get them on more specific substrates like myxos. Many thanks for the PDFs too!
Cheers,
Steve