Rust on Epilobium hirsutum, Greater Willowherb - not sure

alindsay
Regular user

Rust on Epilobium hirsutum, Greater Willowherb - not sure

Post by alindsay » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:48 pm

The only Rust that I can find that likes Epilobium hirsutum is Pucciniastrum Epilobii, but the images I have see don't resemble my find, see photos.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_1236.JPG
On Epilobium hirsutum
IMG_1237.JPG
On Epilobium hirsutum

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Re: Rust on Epilobium hirsutum, Greater Willowherb - not sure

Post by Chris Yeates » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:24 pm

Hi Alison
if you check out "The Rust Fungi of the British Isles - A Guide to Identification by their Host Plants" Henderson 2004 (which I know you have) you'll see that the two rusts listed for E. hirsutum are Puccina epilobii and P. pulverulenta.

Pucciniastrum epilobii is (strangely) ommitted as it has occurred on E. hirsutum in the UK; it's much commoner on rosebay mind, and is not infrequent on garden Fuschias . . . .

So there are actually three possibilities for a rust on this host. That said, this is clearly not a rust but the parasitic ascomycete Venturia maculiformis - note the clusters of tiny black perithecia. Usually seen (and extremely common on this host) later in the season.

regards
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

alindsay
Regular user

Re: Rust on Epilobium hirsutum, Greater Willowherb - not sure

Post by alindsay » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:08 pm

Thanks Chris

... and I did think l had studied Henderson so carefully after your last chiding, to know that my tentative ID didn't add up.

But then you say, not a rust at all "clearly", so absolutely looking in the wrong place anyway ..... hummmm!!!!

Many thanks for the pointer to ascomycete Venturia maculiformis. Much appreciated.

Regards Alison